Dr. Ines Angeli Murzaku is Professor of Ecclesiastical History and Founding Chair of the Department of Catholic Studies at Seton Hall University. A specialist in Byzantine and Catholic Church History, Dr. Murzaku teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on Church History and Theology focusing on Mediterranean Christianity, Monasticism, Eastern Christianity and Ecumenism. She also serves on the editorial advisory boards of the Bolletino della Badia Greca di Grottaferrata and Religion in Eastern Europe scholarly journals and is very involved in inter-religious, inter-faith and ecumenical dialogue with various international government and non-government organizations. Dr. Murzaku previously served as the vice-president of the Association for the Study of Nationalities (ASN) and as a board member of Christians Associated for Relationships with Eastern Europe (CAREE).
Dr. Murzaku has won several prestigious grants, including an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers and a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Grant (SSHRC), and has won three Fulbright Senior Research Scholar Awards for research in Italy and Slovenia.
Currently, Dr. Murzaku is co-authoring a translation and critical edition of the Life of St Neilos of Rossano for Dumbarton Oaks, Harvard University, and is also working on a book project entitled Greek Monasticism in Southern Italy, 1000-1500 for Ashgate Publishing.
View Dr. Murzaku's publication website here»
- Ph.D. (Scientiis Ecclesiasticis Orientalibus Doctorate), Pontifical Oriental Institute, Summa cum laude
- M.A. (Scientiis Ecclesiasticis Orientalibus Licentiate), Pontifical Oriental Institute, Summa cum laude
- M.A., University of Calabria, 110/110 with honors in Lingue e Letterature Straniere
- B.A., University of Tirana in History and Philology
Forthcoming: Monasticism in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Republics
Monasticism in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Republics (Ed.) Routledge Religion, Society and Government in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet States Series, New York and Oxford: Routledge c/o Taylor & Francis, Inc., September, 2015
- Forthcoming: Medieval Italo-Greek Monasticism from St. Neilos to Cardinal Bessarion (1000-1500), Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2015
Monastic Tradition in Eastern Christianity and the Outside World
A Call to Dialogue Eastern Christian Studies 19, Leuven: Peeters Press, 2013
"Introduction: Ἐμοὶ γὰρ τὸ ζῆν Χριστὸς Eastern Monasticism's Quest for Holiness"
Monastic Tradition in Eastern Christianity and the Outside World: A Call to Dialogue, Eastern Christian Studies Series, ed., Ines A. Murzaku, Leuven: Peeters Press, 1-25, 2013
Orientalis Fulgidissima Gemma in Romani Pontificis Tiara Inserta
Monastic Tradition in Eastern Christianity and the Outside World: A Call to Dialogue, Eastern Christian Studies Series, ed., Ines A. Murzaku, Leuven: Peeters' Press, 103-128, 2013
"Heu Quid Agant in Albania? Travelers', SOE Agents' and Catholic Missionaries' Bitter and Meager Victories"
Albania and the Balkans: Essays in Honour of Sir Reginald Hibbert, ed. James Pettifer, Cornwall: Elbow Publishing, 71-95, 2013
"The Vocation I Choose to Follow"
Vocations, 1 (1) Summer 2010, 61-67, June 2010
Quo Vadis Eastern Europe? Religion, State and Society after Communism
Ravenna (Ed.), University of Bologna, Longo, 30, 2009
- Antiseptic Truth Hurts but Cures: Facing the Reality of Albania's Religious Tolerance, Balkanistica, 22(1), 133-155, March 2009
Returning Home to Rome? The Monks of Grottaferrata in Albania
Analekta Kryptoferris Monastic Series 7, 2009
Catholicism, Culture and Conversion: The History of the Jesuits in Albania (1841-1946)
Orientalia Christiana Analecta Series, 2006
Selected Board and Consultancy Assignments
- Member, Executive Board of Directors’ Christians Associated for Relationships with Eastern Europe, 2005-present
- Member, Advisory Board, Journal for the Study of Religions and Ideologies, 2009-present
- Member, Editorial Board, Sociological Analysis, 2007-present
- Member, The Scholars' Initiative in Resolving the Yugoslav Controversies, 2004-present
- Member Editorial Board, Bolletino della Badia Greca di Grottaferrata, 2004-present
- Member, Europe and the Balkans International Network of Scholars, 2003-present
- Member, Executive Board of Directors’ Society for Albanian Studies, American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies, 2003-present
- Fulbright Senior Specialist Award, Italy, 2012-2013
- Dumbarton Oaks Harvard University Translation Grant, 2012
- Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers, University of Munster, 2009-2012
- Social Sciences and Research Council of Canada, 2009-2011
- Fulbright Senior Specialist Grant, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2009
- Provost's Faculty Scholarship Award (Refereed Journal), 2009
- Alberto Italian Institute Research Associate Grant, 2009
- Signature III Course Development Grant, 2008-2009
- Dean's Travel Award, 2008
- Provost's Faculty Scholarship Award (Book), 2007
- Provost's Faculty Scholarship Award (Top Tier Journal), 2007
- Fulbright Senior Research Award, Italy, 2006-2007
- University Research Council Award, Seton Hall University, Summer 2006