Skip to Content
Seton Hall University

International Graduate Applicants

Seton Hall welcomes applications from international students for admission into full-time graduate degree programs. Prospective international applicants are advised to consult with representatives from the College or School to which they are applying.

In addition, the Office of International Programs (OIP) provides counseling and support for all student visa and immigration issues, and also assists international students in becoming active members of the University and surrounding community. The OIP offers a variety of services and social/cultural activities for this purpose.

All graduate international student applicants to Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology are advised to contact the School of Theology directly at (973) 761-7491.

International applicants are advised of the following requirements.

*Please note: No documents submitted as part of the application process will be returned, nor will any requests to duplicate documents be honored.



  • An original transcript, or original transcripts, pertaining to all previous study and/or academic credentials earned must be submitted to the University by the issuing agency or institution. All credentials in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations.

Credential Evaluations

  • Academic transcripts from institutions outside of the United States or Canada must undergo a course-by-course evaluation conducted by an independent credentials evaluation agency, that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

  • SpanTran is our recommended international transcript evaluation service. A custom application has been created exclusively for Seton Hall University allowing our applicants to request their evaluation at a discounted rate. You can access the application here: SpanTran Application - Seton Hall University. Failure to submit a required credential evaluation from a NACES member will result in your application for admission being incomplete and, thus, unable to be reviewed.

Proof of English Language Proficiency

  • All applicants whose first language is not English, including those currently enrolled in US institutions, must present evidence of their ability to successfully conduct and complete their studies in English. Qualifying applicants must take, and submit official scores attained on, either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Please arrange to have official TOEFL or IELTS scores sent directly to Seton Hall University using the following information.

    Seton Hall University
    Office of Graduate Affairs
    Presidents Hall
    400 South Orange Avenue
    South Orange, N.J. 07079

*When submitting TOEFL scores, the institution code for Seton Hall is 2811. 

  • In addition, the School of Diplomacy and International Relations and the Stillman School of Business will also accept official scores attained on the Duolingo English Test. To inquire whether a select program of study will accept the Duolingo English Test, please contact the Graduate Admissions Director for the college or program to which the applicant has applied. Official Duolingo English Test scores should be sent directly by selecting Seton Hall University from the list of Graduate Institutions.  
  • An applicant that has received instruction in English in her or his primary or secondary schools, or received a degree from an institution in the United States, may be eligible for a waiver of the English proficiency exam requirement. Requests for such waivers must be submitted in writing to the department or college to which the applicant has applied.

Student Visas

International students requiring a student visa will also need to submit additional documents which are required by the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The Office of International Programs (OIP) will review these documents and determine if they are sufficient to issue an I-20 form. An I-20 form is used to apply for an F-1 student visa. Prospective international students may anticipate receiving communication from the University to prompt them to start the I-20 process at the time that the prospective student applies to Seton Hall.

The documentation necessary for an I-20 includes the following requirements.

  • Application for form I-20.
  • Financial support form and financial documents.
  • Copy of passport.
  • Students currently studying in the United States on an F1 visa must also fill out the Transfer of Visa Sponsorship Form and have their current institution transfer their SEVIS record to Seton Hall.

All international students are required to enroll full-time (defined as being at least 9 credits for graduate students) per semester and comply with all other requirements of maintaining visa status. It is the responsibility of each international student to familiarize himself or herself with, and abide by, immigration regulations. The Office of International Programs serves to counsel students on these issues as well as report immigration matters to the DHS through SEVIS (the federal immigration database).

Questions about initial I-20 issuance or maintaining visa status should be directed to the Office of International Programs, which is located in Jubilee Hall, Rooms 231-234(lower level). Prospective and current international students may also contact the Office of International Programs by e-mail at [email protected], or by phone at (973) 761-9072. Additional information on immigration regulations and details about visa status, including documents required for I-20 issuance, are available on the Office of International Programs website.