I am interested in the fundamentals and applications of separation science, especially gas chromatography, sampling and sample preparation for chemical analysis. My research group is very active, with ongoing projects using gas chromatography, gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, two dimensional gas chromatography, and extraction methods including headspace, liquid-liquid extraction and solid phase micro-extraction. We are especially interested in trace analysis of drugs and pharmaceuticals in a variety of sample matrices including biological fluids, pharmaceutical formulations, and the environment. We are especially interested in extending the boundaries of existing analytical techniques to lower detection limits and wider ranges of application.
- Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- B.S., University of Virginia
- Thomas DelMastro, Nicholas H. Snow, Wyatt R. Murphy and John R. Sowa, Jr., “Polyol Induced Partitioning of Essential Oils in Water/Acetonitrile Solvent Mixtures, Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies, 2017, 40, 376-383.
- Anumeha Muthal and Nicholas H. Snow, “Solid-phase microextraction-comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography-time of flight mass spectrometry (SPME-GCxGC-ToFMS) of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs from water” Scientia Chromatographica 2016, 8(1), 1-9
- Michelle L. Schmidt and Nicholas H. Snow, “Making the Case for QuEChERS-GCMS of Drugs” TrAC: Trends in Analytical Chemistry 2016, 75, 49-56.
- Shilpi Chopra, Paulo C.F.L. Gomes, Ramkumar Dhandapani and Nicholas H. Snow, “Analysis of Steroids Using Solid-phase Microextraction Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry-Mass Spectrometry (SPME-GC-MS-MS), Scientia Chromatographica, 2014, 6, 1-12.
- Brian B. Barnes, Michael B. Wilson, Peter W. Carr, Mark F. Vitha, Corey D. Broeckling, Adam L. Heuberger, Jessica Prenni, Gregory C. Janis, Henry Corcoran, Nicholas H. Snow, Shilpi Chopra, Ramkumar Dhandapani, Amanda Tawfall, Lloyd W. Sumner, and Paul G. Boswell, “Retention Projection” Enables Reliable Use of Shared Gas Chromatographic Retention Data Across Laboratories, Instruments and Methods” Analytical Chemistry, 2013, 85, 11650-11657.
- Paulo C Gomes; Brian B Barnes; Alvaro J Santos-Neto; Fernando M Lancas; N.H. Snow, “Determination of Steroids, Caffeine and Methylparaen in Water Using Solid Phase Microextraction-Comprehensive Two-dimensional Gas Chromatography Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry (SPME-GCxGC-ToFMS)” Journal of Chromatography A 2013, 1299, 126-130.
- Eric M. Stroud, Craig P. O’Connell, Patrick H. Rice, N. H. Snow, Brian B. Barnes, Mohammed R. Elshaer, James E. Hanson, “Chemical Shark Repellent: Myth or Fact? The Effect of a Shark Necromone on Shark Feeding Behavior”, Ocean and Coastal Management, 2014, 97, 50-5
- B. B. Barnes and N.H. Snow, “Analysis of Salvinorin A in Plants, Water and Urine Using Solid Phase Microextraction-comprehensive Two-dimensional Gas Chromatography time of Flight Mass Spectrometry”, Journal of Chromatography A, 2012, 1226, 110-115.