Seton Hall University

Alcohol at Events

No liquor license is required as long as ALL of the following conditions are met:

  • The event is held either in South Orange at the main campus, or in Newark at the Law School.
  • The event is not open to the public and there is no charge whatsoever. A charge includes: 
    • A direct fee for drinks
    • Payment imposed through the sale of tickets
    • Charging of admission
    • Required donation or special assessment
    • An expenditure made ostensibly for food, entertainment or anything else in connection with the event
  • Seton Hall itself purchases the alcohol within the state. If alcohol is transported from outside New Jersey, there are certain restrictions on the volume, which may be brought into the state.

If any of the above conditions are not met, you must obtain a temporary liquor license. To obtain a temporary liquor license please contact:

State of New Jersey
Department of Law and Public Safety
Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control
CN 087
Trenton, NJ 08625