The University Core requires students to take 10 courses that are infused with proficiencies. Please make sure to see your academic advisor for the latest list of proficiency-infused courses and for any clarifications about the proficiency requirements in your department/college.
The proficiencies are:
- Reading and Writing: Close reading, the integration of reading and writing, textual analysis, organization and development, rhetoric and effective argumentation.
- Information Fluency: Research skills, analysis of sources, documentation, working with secondary sources, the use of databases and indices and the incorporation of outside research into written and oral assignments.
- Oral Communication: Oral presentations, group discussion, oral performance, speeches and interviewing skills.
- Numeracy: Reading graphs and charts, quantitative reasoning, working with numbers, numerical analysis and the integration of numeric information with other disciplines.
- Critical Thinking: Problem solving, developing new approaches to working with information and critical analysis.