The University Core requires students to take 10 courses that are infused with proficiencies. The following list indicates which courses are infused, and it will be updated periodically.
Please make sure to see your academic advisor for the latest list of proficiency-infused courses and for any clarifications about the proficiency requirements in your department/college.
The proficiencies are:
- Reading and Writing: Close reading, the integration of reading and writing, textual analysis, organization
and development, rhetoric and effective argumentation.
- Information Literacy: Research skills, analysis of sources, documentation, working with secondary sources,
the use of databases and indices and the incorporation of outside research into written
and oral assignments.
- Oral Communication: Oral presentations, group discussion, oral performance, speeches and interviewing
- Numeracy: Reading graphs and charts, quantitative reasoning, working with numbers, numerical
analysis and the integration of numeric information with other disciplines.
- Critical Thinking: Problem solving, developing new approaches to working with information and critical analysis.