Skip to Content
Seton Hall University

Frequently Asked Questions

Table of Contents

How do I know who my academic advisor is?

Freshmen meet with their Center for Academic Success Mentor for advisement. Declared students with 30 or more credits meet with a faculty adviser in their discipline.  Log into PirateNet then click on the COMPASS chicklet to find out the name of your advisor.

How can I prepare for the meeting with my academic advisor?

It is important to view existing resources to be fully prepared for the meeting with your academic advisor. Review the correct Undergraduate Catalogue year (when you entered SHU) for your major requirements as well as the core curriculum for the school/college. Students should investigate the programs they are interested in pursuing (or declared in) and identify those which best match their interests, academic abilities, personal and career goals.

How do I register for classes?

In order to register for classes, you must first meet with your advisor for preregistration advisement.  Your advisor will give you your PIN.  If a PIN was not generated, you may present a signed grid sheet from your adviser to the service counter in the Office of the Registrar. Registration eligibility is contingent on academic and financial eligibility. Any type of registration “hold” will prevent you from registering.  You can check your hold status by logging in to PirateNet, selecting the SHUPortal chicklet, and clicking the “Academics” tab. On the right side, you will see an option to view your holds. When you access the page, it will show your hold status. You can confirm your registration time and date by visiting here.

What if I cannot register for a specific class?

An advisor cannot help you register for a class that is waitlisted or closed.  We recommend you add your name to the online waitlist (if one exists) and to visit the department of the course to inquire about availability.  Let your advisor know that you could not register for the course.

How many credits can I take in a semester?

To be a full time student you must be enrolled in 12 credits in a semester. Most students take 15-18 credits a semester. Check with your advisor for the total number of credits required in your major for graduation.

Can I change my schedule once the semester starts?

Yes, adjustments to the semester schedule are permitted throughout the end of the “add-drop” period. The add-drop period ends approximately one week after classes begin.

How can I withdraw from a course?

When you file the Request for Withdrawal Form within the official withdrawal period (check academic calendar for dates), you will automatically receive a “WD” grade in your course.

If you request to withdraw after the eighth week of the semester, then the posting of a “WD” grade is not automatic. In this case, you must submit a Course Adjustment Form to your class instructor to request a “WD” and then obtain the signature of the dean of his school/college.  The completed form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Can I take a required course for my major or minor as a pass/fail?

No, courses for your major or minor must have an earned grade.  Only free electives can be on a pass/fail basis.  Matriculated, undergraduate students may take up to 12 credits of free electives.  No more than 6 credits however, may be taken on this basis during a 12-month period. To apply to take a course on a Pass/Fail basis, complete a Course Adjustment Form.  You must secure the signatures of the class instructor and your academic dean on this form.  The dean’s office will forward the completed form to the Office of the Registrar.  Please remember to consult the semester’s academic calendar to determine the deadline for submission of pass-fail requests.

How do I find out more about the Core Proficiencies required?

Proficiency-infused courses provide students with the systematic and ongoing development of competencies: Critical Thinking, Information Fluency, Numeracy, Oral Communication, and Reading/Writing.  University Core proficiencies can be found by clicking here.

How do I get on the Dean's List?

After the close of every semester, undergraduate students completing all courses with a GPA of 3.4, with no grades lower than “C”, qualify for the Dean’s List.  Students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credits.  Students who receive a grade of “I”, “WD”, “NR”, “RR”, or “IW” or “NA” or “NSA” or “FSA” in a semester are disqualified from Dean’s List eligibility for that semester.

I was not able to complete a final assignment in a class—what should I do?

Speak to your instructor immediately!  Although not guaranteed, your professor may agree to an "incomplete" in the course which will allow you to make up the work.  Students must obtain written permission to receive an incomplete by submitting a Course Adjustment Form to the professor before the officially scheduled final examination. The professor will indicate on this form the amount of time allowed for completion of this work, up to a maximum of 12 months.  If the missing coursework is completed in the time allotted, the professor changes the grade.  If the “I” is not resolved within the time allotted, this grade will be changed permanently to “FI” which is a failing grade and will affect your GPA.

Can I take a course at another school and have the credit transferred to SHU?

  • Yes, Seton Hall students may be granted permission to take a maximum of 12 credits of general electives (not required courses for major or minor) at another college or university for transfer.  Prior permission of the chair of the department offering the equivalent course at SHU and the dean of the school/college is required on the Application to Study at Another Institution-Credit Transfer Form.
  • Application to Study at Another Institution-Credit Transfer Form and the required signatures must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office prior to taking the course.
  • Students with 30 or fewer credits to complete for their degrees are not eligible for this permission.
  • Grades from another institution will not be accepted as transfer credits unless the student earned a C or better in the course (check Department’s policy on grade required). Grades are not transferred; only credits are transferred. Your GPA will not be affected by transfer credits.

How can I find out about scholarships offered by the university?

SHU encourages all students to fill out a FAFSA.  Financial aid may be in the form of a scholarship, grant, loan, employment opportunity or a combination of these.  University scholarships can only be applied to the undergraduate flat tuition rate and cannot cover fees, room and board, books or any other indirect costs.  It is recommended that students check individual departments to learn if they offer scholarships.

Francesca Phillippy, M.A.  External Scholarship Adviser (973) 761-2352 offers assistance to SHU students seeking scholarships outside of Seton Hall. 

What can I do if I lose my academic scholarship due to my GPA?

Students are notified at the end of the academic year that they have lost their award and told that they can submit a Scholarship appeal to possibly have their award reinstated. The form is now electronic and should be submitted by clicking here.

In addition to the loss of scholarships students may also lose need-based aid from SHU, the federal and state government if they fall below Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) guidelines. This is mandated by the federal government and reviewed every semester. Students can also appeal this decision by completing a SAP appeal form located by clicking here.

What is a pre-major?

Students who seek admission to a major for which they are not initially eligible may track that major under advisement until they qualify for admission by completing required courses and earning required grades within the stipulated time frame. 

  • BART – student seeking admission to the Stillman School of Business
  • CART – student seeking admission to the College of Human Development, Culture, and Media
  • DIPT – student seeking admission to the School of Diplomacy and International Relations
  • EART – student seeking admission to the College of Human Development, Culture, and Media specifically in Educational Studies-related major
  • PART – student seeking admission other than math or science in the College of Arts & Sciences
  • PRNU – student seeking admission to the College of Nursing
  • PSCI – student seeking admission in either math or science in the College of Arts & Sciences

How can I declare a major or minor at SHU?

Before completing the change of major/minor procedure, you must meet with your academic advisor. You may declare or change majors or minor programs with the permission of the chair of the department into which you wish to transfer. If the major or minor change involves a change in school/college, the permission of the dean of the school/college also is required. In order to effect a change of major or minor, you must secure approval via submission of an online major or minor change request submitted through PirateNet after discussing their interest in transferring with program personnel.

The online major or minor change request is located in Banner Self-Service chicklet on your Okta homepage. Click on the “student” tab, select the “Student Records” option and go to the bottom of the list. IMPORTANT: meet with your adviser before proceeding with this option.

How do I calculate my GPA?

You can find a Grade Point Average (GPA) calculator on SHU’s website by clicking here.

How to I apply for an internship?

Students must have completed 30 credits and be in good academic standing at the University.  Students interested in obtaining an internship should make an appointment at The Career Center, Bayley Hall, Suite 209. Specialization advisers provide assistance to support students in preparing and securing internships as well as professional employment upon graduation.

Where do I go for help in writing my resume or getting ready for an interview?

The Career Center, located in Bayley Hall, Suite 209, is comprised of designated advisors who can assist you with resume and cover letter writing. They offer workshops on interviewing techniques, preparing personal/career statements, using social medial to network, and tips on networking and negotiating an offer.  

What do I need to graduate from SHU?

You must meet all credit and GPA requirements of your declared major and/or minor and must be certified by the Office of the Registrar via the Application for Degree process.  Undergraduate students are required to file an Application for Degree which is located in the SHU Portal under Academics. Students should consult their degree audit (advising worksheet) as a guide to assure that they meet degree requirements.