The Payroll Office processes wages and pays employees and student workers for jobs that have been entered into Banner by Human Resources and Student Employment. The Payroll Office sets up direct deposits and payroll withholdings related to taxes, parking or other miscellaneous items. The Payroll Office files payroll tax returns, issues Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statements, and can reissue an original check that has been lost or misplaced. The below provides additional guidance on services provided by the Payroll Office.
- Current payroll schedule - In general, staff, maintenance, paraprofessionals and student workers are paid on a bi-weekly basis and faculty, administrative employees and graduate assistants are paid on a monthly basis. Click the above payroll schedule link to see the payroll schedule for the next two years, and for information on due dates for timesheets approval and for communicating changes in a reporting structure.
- Direct deposits - Direct deposits provide employees and student workers the convenience of receiving their pay directly into their bank checking or savings accounts on pay day. This eliminates worry about having checks lost or delayed in the mail. It also allows for the deposit to be allocated into several of your bank accounts. Click the above direct deposit link for more information and to access the direct deposit form.
- W-2 Wage and Tax Statement - Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statements are issued by the Payroll Office by January 31 of each year. You may elect to receive this form electronically, or have it mailed to your address on file. The Payroll Office issues an email each year to all active employees and student workers containing instructions on how to sign up to receive an electronic W-2. Click the above W-2 Wage and Tax Statement link to review an explanation of the boxes included in your current year W-2.
- IRS and NJ W-4 Employee Withholding Allowance Certificates – Human Resources and Student Employment provide these two forms to all new hires for completion. IRS Form W-4 is required to be completed for all employees. NJ Form W4 is required to be completed for all employees working in New Jersey, with the exception of those residing in PA. Employees and student workers may update these withholding allowances based upon their individual circumstances. Click the above link W-4 link to access these forms. Updated forms should be delivered to the Payroll Office. The Payroll Office cautions against using email to send any documents containing your Social Security Number.
- Employment Verification – Requests for employment verification should be faxed to the Payroll Office at (973) 275-2256. For security purposes, the Payroll Office will reach out to all current employees via email to receive authorization for the release of information before completing an employment verification form.
- Frequently Asked Payroll Questions – The Payroll Office has provided answers to various questions it is often asked. Click the above link for a list of these questions and answers.
The Payroll Office has found it often receives inquiries that are better directed to and answered by other functional areas within the University. Please contact:
- Human Resources at the HRGeneral@shu.edu for questions related to compensation, benefit withholdings, employee relocation expense reimbursement, or TimeClock Plus and Web-Time Entry timecards. See also the Human Resources Website and its supporting webpage Time and Attendance Systems (Leave Reports, TimeClock Plus and Web Time Entry)
- Student Employment at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions related to student job assignments and assigned supervisors. Students should also contact their supervisor for assistance. See also the Office of Student Employment website
- Controller’s Office at (973) 761-9318 for questions about payroll taxes for nonresident aliens.
Please contact the Payroll Office for questions concerning lost or misplaced paychecks, direct deposits, tax forms, or payroll withholdings related to taxes, parking or other miscellaneous items.
The Payroll Office is located in Bayley Hall, Room 10. Our contact information is below. You may also email us at email@example.com.
Links to payroll related forms are below:
- Employee Direct Deposit Payroll Authorization Form
- Student Direct Deposit Payroll Authorization Form
- (IRS Form W-4) Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
- (NJ-W4) State of N.J. Division of Taxation Employee's Allowance Certificate
Seton Hall University
Bayley Hall, Room 10
400 South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079