Pirates Pitch Competition for High School Students
Do you dream of starting a business? Perhaps you already have! Seton Hall University offers high school students a contest to teach the basics of entrepreneurship and idea generation. It's a fun way to put your entrepreneurial know-how to the test and win cash prizes and scholarships.
Congratulations to this year’s finalists!
- Mamaie Evonlah - Northwest High School - Germantown, MD
- Mia Masturzo Marin - Catholic High School - Mill Valley, CA
- Ian Aepelbacher - Horsehead High School - Elmira, NY
- Carter Slifer - Fanwood High School - Scotch Plains, NJ
- Aiyana Williams - Union Catholic High School - Plainfield, NJ
- Atishay Jain - Downington Stem Academy - Downington, PA
- Alessandra Antonacci - Fontonne High School - Staten Island, NY
- Jessica Huang - Parsippany Troy Hills High School - Morris Plains, NJ
- Rushikesh Manche - Bridgewater-Raritan High School - Bridgewater Township, NJ
- Spencer Ghiraldini - Park Ridge High School - Park Ridge, NJ
Step 1: Submit your Idea
Submit an original business idea that, in 350 words or less, describes an innovative product or service that you would like create. Or, you can tell us about a business you've already launched! Be sure to answer the following questions:
- What problem does your product or service solve?
- How do you propose making money?
- Who are your customers and why will they buy your product or service?
- Who is your competition and how are you going to be better than the competition?
Deadline: November 2, 2019
Eligibility: All high school sophomores, juniors and seniors with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Step 2: Pitch Your Idea
Ten finalists will be selected by late October and invited to present their business ideas to a panel of judges at Seton Hall University on Friday, November 22, 2019. Finalists who cannot come to campus can participate via Skype. Judges are successful alumni entrepreneurs, corporate leaders and business faculty.
Step 3: Win Prizes and Recognition!
- 1st Place Winner: $2,500 cash prize. Plus $10,000 scholarship to attend Seton Hall University ($2,500 annually)
- 2nd Place Winner: $1,000 cash prize. Plus $6,000 scholarship to attend Seton Hall University ($1,500 annually)
- All other Finalists will receive a $4,000 scholarship to attend Seton Hall University ($1,000 annually)
Finalists who present in person and their families will also be invited to a congratulatory reception on campus immediately following the event where they will meet with corporate executives and successful entrepreneurs, providing an exclusive opportunity for networking and advice.
For more information and details, call Susan Scherreik, Founding Director, Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, at 973-275-2251, or email at email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Is the Stillman School of Business Pirates Pitch Competition for High School students?
The competition teaches high school students entrepreneurship basics and idea generation and recognizes and rewards students with outstanding entrepreneurial know-how.
Who is eligible?
Current high school sophomores, juniors and seniors with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
How do students apply?
Complete and submit the application to the right.
How are winners selected?
An independent panel of judges reviews all entries. The top 10 finalists will be invited to Seton Hall University to present their business idea (or discuss a business they now operate) in five minute presentations to a panel of judges. The judges will score all finalists based on their written submission and oral presentations to determine a 1st and 2nd place winner.
When do students and high schools receive their awards?
Winners and awards will be conferred immediately following the presentations. Finalists will be recognized at a congratulatory reception on campus immediately following the event where they will meet with Corporate Executives and successful Entrepreneurs, providing an exclusive opportunity for networking and advice. If a 1st or 2nd place winning high schools is not present, a check for the cash prize will be mailed to them. Scholarships to Seton Hall University will be provided to students upon admission to the University.
"Shark Tank" Competition Awards Cash and Scholarships to High School Entrepreneurs
December 14, 2017
Stillman School of Business "Shark Tank" competition awards cash and scholarships to high school entrepreneurs.
Pirates Pitch Featured on FiOS1 News
November 18, 2017
High school students from across the country got a shot at winning a large scholarship, all thanks to a competition similar to TV's "Shark Tank." FiOS1 News’ Emily Drooby has the story from South Orange.
Loading Pirate's Pitch...