Skip to Content
Seton Hall University Office of Admissions

Frequently Asked Questions

Application Questions

Q: Is my application complete?
Your freshman application is complete when we have received the application with essay, SAT/ACT scores, guidance counselor report, teacher recommendation, your high school transcript and your FAFSA (required by November 1 for scholarship consideration, for Fall 2024 freshmen applicants, the FAFSA will open in December and should be completed by January 1 or as soon as possible). Your transfer application is complete when we have received your application and transcripts from all colleges you have attended. Transfer applicants with less than 24 credits must also submit high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores.

Starting in mid-late November, freshman and transfer applicants for the fall semester are able to check the status of their applications online to determine what materials we have received. After we receive the application form, you will receive an e-mail which provides you a username and password so you can login and check the status of your application.

Q: Do you consider demonstrated interest in the admission process?
Yes, while your academic performance is of primary importance, demonstrated interest is an important part of the application review process. This means that visiting campus, attending an open house and reading our emails are all important. We value students who have done their homework, taken the time to get to know Seton Hall and understand what we offer. When we review applications, we are looking for students who are the right fit for Seton Hall, and part of that is making sure that applicants have gotten to know us and are serious about becoming a member of our community. 

Q: Do you accept the Common Application?
Yes, Seton Hall accepts the Common Application for freshman applicants. Transfer applicants must apply through the Seton Hall application.

Q: When will I receive an admission decision?
It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks for an admissions decision to be made once your application is complete. If you applied Early Action I and submitted all of your application materials before November 15, you will receive a decision by December 30. All early action applications are given priority in the application review process.

Q: Are interviews required?
Interviews are not required but you are welcome to arrange one if you are interested. If you wish to schedule an interview, call the Office of Admissions at 973-313-6146 or e-mail [email protected].

Q: How many letters of recommendations do I need?
Seton Hall requires two letters of recommendation — one from a guidance counselor and one from a teacher. If you would like to submit additional recommendations you are welcome to do so; but it will not affect your application standing. Transfer students with more than 24 credits do not need to submit letters of recommendation.

Q: How much is the application fee?
Seton Hall's undergraduate application fee is $65 for both Seton Hall's application and the Common Application.

Q: Can my application fee be waived?
If your guidance counselor determines that you have an economic hardship, he/she can submit a College Board fee waiver request which will be accepted. In addition you can consult the Office of Admissions at [email protected] or 973-313-6146 to see if we can provide you with a waiver.

Q: Can my application fee be refunded?
Unfortunately, we are unable to refund application fees once they have been submitted.

Q: Is early action binding?
Early action is not binding. Early Action means that you are indicating to the University that we are among your top choices. It also means that your application will be among the first to be reviewed for admission and scholarship. Early Action I applicants who have submitted all required application materials by November 15 will receive a decision by December 30.

Q: What standardized tests does SHU accept?
Seton Hall accepts both the SAT and the ACT. We will take the highest of the two tests and have no preference in regards to which you submit. We will super-score the results of each exam.

For the fall 2021 application period, Seton Hall will also be providing students the option of applying for test optional admission. To learn more, please click here.

Q: How do I get my test scores to SHU?
Contact the College Board for SAT scores or ACT and have them send your scores to our office. Seton Hall cannot accept copies of the scores you receive. Seton Hall will accept your scores if they are located on your official high school transcript. Seton Hall's codes are 2811 for SAT and 2606 for ACT.

Q: I graduated a few years ago; do I still need to submit my SAT?
Students that have graduated high school at least five or more years ago are not required to submit their SAT or ACT scores. Also any student that has attained 24 or more credits from a college or university will not be required to submit standardized test scores.

Q: What do I need to do if I've been home schooled?
Home schooled students are welcome at Seton Hall. We will need you to submit your SAT/ACT scores, recommendation forms and essays as well as a copy of your transcript or home school record. If a home school record/transcript is not available a GED may be submitted instead.

Q: When am I considered a transfer student?
A transfer student is any applicant who has attempted at least 6 college credits after high school graduation.

Q: How do I apply for the University Honors Program?
The University Honors Program requires a separate application and admission to the program is offered to those students who show exemplary grades, test scores and leadership in high school. Generally a minimum of a 3.5 GPA and a 27 on the ACT or a 660 ERW on the SAT are required for admission. Learn more or apply to the University Honors Program by visiting the Honors Program website.

General Questions

Q: How many students apply to Seton Hall, how many are accepted?
We receive approximately 15,500 applications a year and admit about 9,000 students. In general, we enroll an incoming class of about 1600 students.

Q: How many students get jobs within six months of graduation?
The employment rate of our students is 92%. Seton Hall has also been ranked top 4 in the nation for providing internship opportunities. In addition 10 years after attending, Seton Hall graduates earnings are 50% higher than the national average.

Q: Can I have more than one major at Seton Hall?
Absolutely, many students at Seton Hall have a double major and a minor or two. Our curriculum is designed with many elective courses to allow you to pursue multiple interests. This is true for most programs with the exception of nursing and health professions programs. We offer over 90 academic programs to enrich your academic experience.

Q: When can I visit Seton Hall?
We offer open house events throughout the year which will allow you to meet with faculty, tour campus and learn about admission and financial aid. In addition, we offer campus tours through the year. Click here to learn more or register for a tour or an open house.

Q: How can I request information?
Complete this form or send an e-mail to [email protected] with your first name, last name, address, phone number, e-mail address, date of birth, current high school, date of high school graduation and intended major to receive information, or you can call 973-313-6146.

Q: Can I have a car on campus?
Only seniors and commuters can have a car on campus, other exceptions are made on a case by case basis for students with off campus practicums or internships. Seton Hall provides regular shuttle service throughout the day around campus and into town and also offers trips to the mall, Target, Best Buy and Whole Foods on the weekends. In addition, we provide van service outside of this route to student who would like a safe ride back to campus in the evenings.

Q: Who is my admissions counselor at SHU?
Click here to find your admissions counselor.

Q: Is housing guaranteed?
Housing is not guaranteed, however Seton Hall will set aside 1,150 beds for new students. We encourage all incoming students to pay the housing deposit of $375.00 by the May 1 deadline, if not sooner. You must also submit a tuition deposit to have your housing deposit considered complete. Upper class students must reapply for housing each year and can strengthen their spot on the housing list by earning points. Points are earned for strong academics, community service, involvement in campus activities and not getting into trouble. However, many upper class students choose not to live on campus but choose to rent houses or apartments with classmates in the local area.

Fall 2024 admitted students are permitted to request an extension to the May 1 deadline. Please email your admissions counselor or [email protected] for additional information on how to request an extension.

Q: Are freshmen required to live on campus?
Freshmen are not required to live on campus and 80 percent of freshmen live on campus. Students living on campus are required to have a meal plan.

Q: Is your campus a residential campus?
Seton Hall is a residential campus, we have over 2,300 students in residence on campus and about half of these students come from out-of-state. In addition to this number, many upper class students rent apartments or houses in the area and within walking distance to campus adding to the residential feeling of campus since these students just live a few blocks away and also spend their weekends enjoying activities on campus.

Q: What is your religious affiliation; what order is the University?
Seton Hall is a diocesan university under the Archdiocese of Newark therefore we are not affiliated with any particular order (i.e. Jesuit, etc.). Seton Hall is the oldest diocesan university in the country.

Q: Do I have to be Catholic to attend the University or will I feel out of place if I'm not Catholic?
No, Seton Hall University welcomes students of all faiths and we have a very diverse community with students representing many religions. The University fosters universal values such as service, integrity and compassion and creates an environment that encourages dialogue, acceptance and respect. About 70% of Seton Hall students identify as Catholic and for those students, there are many ways to deepen their faith including masses several times a day.

Q: What can you tell me about fire safety on campus?
The University has installed extensive sprinkler systems in all the residence halls. Our sprinkler systems go beyond the requirements of state code. We incorporated intensive fire safety training as part of the orientation to residence halls living. Seton Hall has the highest technology available for fire safety and once a fire alarm is pulled South Orange fire department is immediately notified.

Q: What should I do if I am placed on the waitlist?
The first thing you should do if you are placed on the waitlist is to submit the Waitlist Response form if you are still interested in being considered for admission. You should try to strengthen your application by scheduling an interview. We also suggest you retake the SAT/ACT as well as focus on your studies to improve your GPA and submit additional recommendation letters if possible.

Q: I'm interested in joining one of your sports teams, what should I do?
You should complete the online athlete questionnaire found at In addition, you can write a letter and send a video to our coach or have your high school coach write to our coach. Use the Seton Hall address and place the coach’s title on the top.

Q: How can I unsubscribe from the Seton Hall mailing list?
If you received an email from Seton Hall and no longer wish to receive email from us, you can click the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of that message. You can also send an e-mail to [email protected] with your full name and birth date with your request to be taken off the mailing list. If you are an applicant to Seton Hall who wishes to unsubscribe, you can only do so if you withdraw your application by contacting the Office of Admissions at 973-313-6146.

Financial Aid and Scholarship Questions

Q: Do you offer scholarships?
Seton Hall is very generous with scholarships and financial aid, we give over $100 million dollars annually to support our students and 98 percent of our students receive some form of financial aid and 98 percent of students receive a grant or scholarship directly from Seton Hall. Incoming students are automatically considered for a scholarship upon admission. In addition there are many special scholarships for which you can apply. These scholarships have a January 15 deadline, learn more at

Q: What is the scholarship deadline?
All applicants are automatically considered for University scholarships. However there are many special scholarships for which students can apply. All of these awards have a January 15 deadline. For a complete list of scholarships, visit

Q: How do I apply for Financial Aid at Seton Hall University?
In order to apply for financial aid, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. You can apply as early as October 1 and we recommend you do so no later than November 1 (Please note: for Fall 2024 freshmen applicants, the FAFSA will open in December and should be completed by January 1 or as soon as possible). Filing the FAFSA will entitle you to consideration for need-based grants, as well as work-study and student loans. You do not need to file the FAFSA for scholarship consideration.

Q. Why isn’t my Summer Scholarship on my financial aid package? 
The financial aid package you received only provides an indication of financial aid awards and tuition and fees for the fall and spring semesters. It does not list any summer costs or summer aid. If the student registers for 6 or more credits over the summer (as specified in the scholarship letter) he/she will become eligible for this scholarship. This scholarship will be posted to the student’s account at the start of summer courses. If the student registers for 6 credits over the summer and has the summer scholarship applied to his/her account, but then withdraws from one of the courses, the scholarship will be removed as the 6-credit requirement will no longer be fulfilled.

Q. How do I accept my awards, and what if I don’t want to accept all the financial aid offered to me? 
You will need to log on to PirateNet to accept your awards. You can only gain access to PirateNet starting in March after you submit your tuition deposit. You may choose to accept all the financial aid offered or only certain individual financial aid components, such as loans, work or grants. If one component is declined, no additional aid will be offered to make up for that declined aid.

Q. Do I automatically receive the Direct Federal Loans listed on my financial aid award letter?
While you are automatically entitled to this award, to actually obtain these loans, you must take additional steps. First, you must accept the loan on PirateNet (where you can also reduce the loan amount if needed). In addition, you will be redirected to where you will need to complete a master promissory note and an entrance interview. Once you complete this process your loan will be formalized.

Q. I accepted my loan and now I need to change the amount. How do I do this?
You will need to complete a Loan Adjustment Form, which is available on the Documents and Forms tab of the Seton Hall Financial Aid website.

Q. My parent applied for a PLUS loan and has been denied. What should we do now?
If your parent is denied a PLUS loan, you will automatically qualify for an additional $4,000 of an unsubsidized Direct Loan. You will need to complete a Loan Adjustment Form requesting the additional $4,000. This form is available on the Documents and Forms tab of the Seton Hall Financial Aid website. If additional loan funds are needed after this has been awarded, parents should explore other loan options at If the parent’s credit check makes it difficult to qualify for any loans, then it is suggested that you explore having a co-signer.

Q: Do you require the CSS Profile?
No, we do not require the profile and there is no need for you to complete one. We only use the FAFSA.

Q: My parents are divorced, what parental information do I have to list on my FAFSA?
When filing the FAFSA the student should use the information from the parent he/she lives with the majority of the time. If this parent is remarried then the information for the parent and the step parent with whom the student lives must be used to complete the FAFSA even if the step parent does not plan to contribute to the education.

Q. What should I do if the information on my FAFSA no longer represents my current financial circumstances? 
If there has been a change in your financial information or circumstances since you filed your FAFSA, you may be entitled to a special circumstances/professional judgment review. This is only possible in circumstances such as a loss of employment, death of a parent, extensive medical bills, etc. We cannot perform a special circumstances evaluation based on the fact that you want more aid and do not agree with results of your FAFSA and the EFC (expected family contribution) provided by the federal government.

If indeed there has been a significant change in your financial circumstances and it was not represented in the data you provided on your FAFSA, then you will need to submit a Special Circumstances Application which can be found on the Documents and Forms tab of the Seton Hall Financial Aid website. When completing the form you must indicate the reason for your special circumstance and provide the required documentation indicated on the form; required documentation will vary based on the reason for your request. Once we receive your form, you will be notified by the Office of Financial Aid via e-mail that your request was received. Review of special circumstances requests begins in February, and it generally takes 4-6 weeks to process these requests if all required information is on file. Once a review is completed, you will receive notification via e-mail. 

The special circumstances review allows the financial aid office to reassess your information while taking these new circumstances into consideration. The purpose of this is to recalculate your EFC based on this new information. Your EFC is the driver of need-based aid; therefore, a special circumstances review will only impact need-based aid and will have no bearing on any scholarships or merit-based aid. If you apply for a special circumstances review, this does not necessarily mean you will become eligible for any additional financial aid funding. 

There are two primary reasons a special circumstances review may not result in any additional funding. First, if your EFC is already at 0, it cannot be adjusted any lower, so a special circumstances review will not result in any changes to your aid eligibility as we cannot reduce an EFC any lower than 0. Because your EFC is at 0, you would have already qualified for the maximum amount of need-based aid available to you. Therefore, even if submitted, special circumstances reviews will not be performed for students who already have an EFC at 0.

The second reason a special circumstances review may not result in any additional aid is that the adjustment to your EFC did not qualify you for any need-based aid. For example, let’s say you filed the FAFSA based on tax return data that indicated that both of your parents were employed and as a result your current EFC is $40,000. However, one of your parents lost their job since the filing of those taxes. In this instance, we can perform a special circumstances review to reassess your EFC. Let’s say once this recalculation is performed your new EFC is reduced to $10,000. Even though this EFC is much lower than your previous EFC, this still may not be sufficient enough to qualify you for any need-based aid. As a point of reference, federal need-based aid generally only applies to students with an EFC of about $5,000 and the amount of available aid varies from about $600 a year to about $6000 a year.

Q. Can my scholarship or grants from Seton Hall be extended beyond four years?
No, scholarships and grants from Seton Hall are only available for four years, even if you need to take longer to complete your program. This means if the award was not received in a given semester or prorated due to an exception, these funds are no longer available to the student and will not be reallocated to a future term. Exceptions will be made for students that have withdrawn for medical reasons. This would have to be confirmed by the Dean of Students office.

Q: Can I use my scholarship for my entire joint degree program?
No, University Scholarships are only good for four years and can only cover the Seton Hall flat tuition rate for full-time undergraduate study at Seton Hall. It cannot cover any graduate-level coursework study at Seton Hall as part of a joint-degree program or any coursework taken at a partner institution. Please note that undergraduate coursework has course numbers beginning with the number 4 or less. Any course number starting with a 5 is considered graduate level. If you are taking at least 12 credits of undergraduate coursework each semester you are considered full time. If in your senior year you are taking a combination of undergraduate and graduate courses or courses offered at Seton Hall and a partner institution as part of a joint-degree program and you drop below 12 Seton Hall undergraduate credits, your University Scholarship will be prorated to cover undergraduate courses at Seton Hall in your senior year and you will be charged separately for graduate-level courses toward which no scholarship funds can be applied. If you are taking coursework at a partner institution, you will be billed directly by the partner institution for these courses and no scholarship funds can be applied.

Please also note that need-based grants follow the same policies and cannot be used to cover graduate-level coursework, or coursework at a partner institution as part of a joint degree program.

Q: Can need-based grants or University Scholarships from Seton Hall cover my room and board or books?
No, need-based grants and University Scholarships from Seton Hall University can only be applied to tuition. These funds cannot be used to cover fees, room and board, books or any other charges. If you receive multiple forms of financial aid which can only be applied to tuition and the combined total of these awards exceeds the tuition charges your awards will be reduced. In this case Seton Hall scholarships and need-based grants will be the first forms of aid to be reduced.

Q: Are Seton Hall Need-based grants automatically renewed?
No, Seton Hall need-based grants are not automatically renewable. Just because you received the award in a given year does not mean you are assured of renewal in a subsequent year. All students must file the FAFSA each year to determine eligibility for renewal. Based on the results of your FAFSA and available funds, you may see a reduction in your Seton Hall need-based grant or lose eligibility completely. This is also the case with all need-based grants from the federal and state governments.

Q. How will I know if changes have been made to my financial aid awards?
If you have not deposited yet, any adjustments or changes to the award letter can be viewed online using the Applicant Portal. If you have already paid your tuition deposit and it is after March 1, the award letter will be available via the Profile and Finances tab on PirateNet ( It is preferable to use PirateNet as this is the information portal you will use throughout your studies at Seton Hall.

Q. Should I expect to receive any additional scholarships or grants from Seton Hall after I enroll? 
No, the large majority of financial aid and scholarships at Seton Hall are awarded to students at the point of admission. You will not receive any increases to your Seton Hall awards during your enrollment. There are very limited additional scholarships and grants for which enrolled students can apply. These awards are very competitive and usually provide only nominal additional assistance. Also, while tuition increases annually (usually between 3 - 6 percent), scholarships and grants remain fixed and do not increase. Please keep all this in mind when planning to finance your college education.

Q: Why has my Seton Hall Scholarship or Grant been reduced?
Many financial aid awards are designated to only cover tuition costs and cannot be used to cover other items such as fees, room and board, books, etc. Examples of such awards are need-based TAG grants from the state of NJ, Seton Hall need-based grants, University Scholarships, tuition remission and some scholarships from outside organizations. If you receive multiple forms of financial aid which can only be applied to tuition and the combined total of these awards exceeds the tuition charges, your awards will be reduced. In this case Seton Hall scholarships and need-based grants will be the first forms of aid to be reduced.

Q. Is my financial aid affected by my academic performance or enrollment status? 
Yes, students are required to maintain minimum GPA requirements to keep all scholarship aid from Seton Hall; these specific criteria were outlined in your scholarship notification letter. All other forms of aid, including loans, work study and need-based grants from Seton Hall as well as the federal and state government, require you to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines. Detailed information can be found on our website by searching for our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. In addition, many awards require full-time continuous enrollment to maintain award eligibility. Undergraduate students need to register for at least 12 credits each semester to remain a full-time student. University Scholarships require that students earn at least 30 credits annually to maintain eligibility.

Q. What happens if I can’t keep my GPA or credit load and I lose my scholarship?
There are two reasons you might lose your scholarship: you did not meet the GPA requirements (as outlined in your scholarship letter) and/or you did not earn the required number of credits (this is 30 at the end of the year for most scholarships). In regard to your GPA, you will have until the end of your spring semester at Seton Hall to achieve the GPA outlined in your scholarship letter. If you don’t meet this GPA at the end of the fall semester, you will be sent an e-mail alert warning to help keep you on track. If at the end of the spring semester your GPA is below what is outlined in your scholarship letter, your scholarship will automatically be removed from your record by the programming in our computer system. At this time, you will also receive an e-mail notification about the loss of your scholarship, and you will be informed about our appeal process. Students need to write a short statement requesting an appeal; these appeals are then reviewed by a committee. Appeals are granted for the majority of students, especially at the end of freshman year. In fact, approximately 85% of appeals for freshmen are approved and scholarships are reinstated. But students must file an appeal as instructed in the e-mail they receive in order to be considered for scholarship reinstatement. If you don’t meet the 30-credit requirements at the end of the spring semester, your scholarship will automatically be removed from your record by the programming in our computer system. However, if you take classes over the summer and reach the 30-credit requirement before the fall semester begins, your scholarship will be reinstated. This will be done manually by the financial aid office during a review at the end of all summer classes. If for some reason it is not adjusted, all you need to do is bring this to the attention of the financial aid office in Bayley Hall and the scholarship will be reinstated.

Q. If I enroll less than full time during any semester or do not maintain continuous full-time enrollment, can I keep my scholarship or grant?
No, you must be enrolled full time to keep your awards, with 12 credits per semester as the minimum number of credits to be considered full time. However, most scholarships from the University require that you earn 30 credits per year to maintain eligibility. This means ideally you should take 15 credits each semester. However, you may take the minimum of 12 credits but must make sure you earn at least 30 credits by the end of the academic year to retain your scholarship. This may require that you take summer courses. If you are enrolled less than full time (12 credits) you cannot keep your scholarships or need-based grants from Seton Hall; you will lose them and they cannot be prorated or reinstated in a future semester, even if you resume full-time status the following semester. Exceptions are made for students in their last semester if they do not require a full-time course load to complete their degree. In this case, however, you must consult with financial aid for an adjustment. On rare occasions, exceptions are also made for students who do not maintain continuous enrollment or remain enrolled full time; these include family, personal or medical emergencies which result in the need for the student to withdraw from courses for a specific term or period. In this case, you must consult with financial aid and you or another department on campus (such as health or counseling services) must provide proof of medical, personal or family emergency.

Q. Why isn’t my work study grant deducted from my bill like all of my other aid?
Work study is not applied to your account like other forms of aid. Notification indicates that you are eligible to apply for a job on campus under the federal work study program. This is not a guarantee of employment; students must find a job and work the necessary hours to earn up to the amount for which they are eligible. Earnings from work study are paid to students bi-weekly in a pay check; these earnings are not deducted from your bill. Please keep this in mind when planning your loans and bill payment. Work study funds are often useful to cover items such as books and personal expenses.

Q. If I was not awarded a federal work study grant, can I still work on campus?
Yes, all students, regardless of eligibility for a work-study award, are eligible to apply for a job on campus. Students should visit and then click on "Student" for a listing of job opportunities.

Q. How do I pay my bill?
Students are billed prior to the start of each semester. You will receive your fall semester bill in early July and it will be due in early August. Bills are not mailed; they are only available electronically via PirateNet. An e-mail notification will be sent to your Seton Hall e-mail account only from [email protected] to notify you when bills are available. To view and pay your bill, you will need your PirateNet username and password. Once you have logged into PirateNet, locate the Profile and Finances tab and click "View and Pay my Account" to reach the payment portal. Through the payment portal, you can view your account details, review your PDF eStatements, add an authorized user and make payments via electronic check or credit card. 

If you would like to allow someone, like your parents, to receive your billing notices and/or pay your bill, you must add an "authorized user." An authorized user is any individual granted access by the student to receive billing notifications. This individual will also have their own access to make online payments and view eStatements. To grant someone access, log into PirateNet and click the Profile and Finances tab. Click "View and Pay my Account" to reach the payment portal, then click "Authorized Users." We will never send your bill to anyone that you have not authorized, and you can edit this information at any time. 

Please also be advised that your financial aid will not be disbursed to your account until after classes have begun and faculty have verified your attendance. 

For more information on billing and payment, visit or e-mail [email protected].

Q. How do I set up a payment plan?
Seton Hall University offers interest-free payment plans that provide you with flexibility and time to meet your financial obligation. The payment plan is an option that breaks down the large-sum payments due at the beginning of each semester into easy-to-manage installments. Each semester, you can spread your payments over five or seven months, with the final payment due prior to registration for next term. There currently is no payment plan available for summer terms. 

To set-up a payment plan, log into PirateNet, locate the Profile and Finances tab, click "View and Pay My Account" to reach the payment portal. Through here, you can select the Payment Plan tab.

For more frequently asked questions about financial aid, see the inserts sent with the financial aid package or please visit the Office of Financial Aid.

Admitted Student Questions

Q: Does Seton Hall accept AP/IB or college credit?
Yes, just submit AP and IB scores and we will grant you college-level credit for AP exam scores of 4 or above and higher-level IB scores of grade 6 or higher. If you have taken college-level courses for credit, we will grant credit for courses in which you have earned a C or better in non-remedial, non-vocational courses. Incoming freshman can receive credit for up to 45 credits, 30 of which can be from tests (AP or IB).

You must submit AP and IB scores prior to enrolling at Seton Hall. Any student submitting AP or IB scores later than the end of the first semester of enrollment at Seton Hall University may be ineligible to have these credits evaluated and applied towards their degree at Seton Hall.

For a detailed list of what each AP exam will be accepted as at Seton Hall, please refer to our AP Credit Chart.

Submit your AP scores electronically via the College Board or mail official copies of your IB scores to:
Office of Admissions
Seton Hall University
400 South Orange Ave.
South Orange, NJ 07079

Q: What do I need to do to enroll after I am accepted?
In order to attend Seton Hall University, the next step after you are accepted is to pay your tuition deposit by visiting the Deposit Page. See the complete enrolling checklist which is determined by when you plan to enroll:

Q: How do I pay my tuition deposit?
In order to reserve your spot at Seton Hall, you will need to pay a non-refundable $350 tuition deposit no later than May 1. The best way to pay is online through our admitted student page at You can also mail a check or money order and enclose it with your Confirmation of Enrollment Form in the envelope provided in your acceptance kit. Mail to Seton Hall University Office of Admissions, 400 South Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079. Please note your Student ID on the check. Your ID number is located at the top of your admission letter.

Fall 2024 admitted students are permitted to request an extension to the May 1 deadline. Please email your admissions counselor or [email protected] for additional information on how to request an extension. 

Q: Can my tuition deposit be refunded?
Tuition deposits are non-refundable after May 1. If you would like a refund, a request must be put in writing prior to May 1.

Fall 2024 admitted students are permitted to request an extension to the May 1 deadline. Please email your admissions counselor or [email protected] for additional information on how to request an extension.

Q:What placement tests do I need to take?
Some students need to take Pirate Adventure (Summer Orientation).

Login at to see your required placement tests. Your login information will be mailed to you in early February if you have paid your tuition deposit. Testing is based upon your SAT or ACT score as well as your major. Only placement tests that you need to take will appear in PirateNet. If you do not need to take any placement tests, none will appear. If a foreign language placement test appears, you only need to take it if you plan on continuing a language from high school or spoken at home. Anyone planning on taking a new language does not need to the language placement test.

Questions about placement testing? Contact the Center for Academic Success at (973) 761-9740 or [email protected].

Q: Can I request my roommate?
Yes, you can. If you plan to live in University housing, you need to submit your non-refundable $375 housing deposit online (this deposit is in addition to your tuition deposit) and then complete a housing questionnaire. If you know the name of an individual with whom you would like to room, please indicate this person's name on your housing questionnaire and the other individual must do the same as well. This will allow us to pair you together as roommates.

Please submit your housing deposit as soon as possible and no later than May 1. Space is limited and we cannot offer a guarantee. If you prefer to pay by check or money order, enclose it with your tuition deposit. Housing assignments are made in mid July.

Fall 2024 admitted students are permitted to request an extension to the May 1 deadline. Please email your admissions counselor or [email protected] for additional information on how to request an extension.

Apply for Housing »

When applying for housing, we also ask that you select a meal plan. For a list of meal plans options visit Meal Plan Information. After room assignments are made, you can make changes to your meal plan.

In early June, Housing and Residence Life will reach out to those who have paid their housing deposit and submitted their housing application with information on roommate selection. Housing assignments are posted on PirateNet and e-mailed in mid July.

Q: When is orientation?
Pirate Adventure (Summer Orientation) for first-year students is held in late June. Transfer orientation is held in late August. The specific dates for your orientation can be found in your admission letter. Once you pay your tuition deposit you will receive a username and password to logon to PirateNet. Once you logon to PirateNet, you can confirm your attendance at orientation.

Q: Do I need to buy a laptop?
No. All full-time undergraduate students receive a University-issued laptop, which they can keep after graduation. This laptop is part of the Mobile Computing program and allows state-of-the-art technology to be integrated into the curriculum.

Q: What is PirateNet?
PirateNet is your one stop portal for all things Seton Hall. It is how you will view your financial aid package, your class schedule, pay your bill, register for classes and so much more. If you have submitted your non-refundable $350 tuition deposit, you will receive your username and password to logon to PirateNet starting in early February.

Q: How do I register for classes? When will I meet my advisor?
All new students will meet their academic advisor and register for classes at orientation. For freshmen this is called New Student Orientation. Your orientation dates can be found in your admission letter. During orientation, you will also get your laptop, student ID card and meet fellow classmates.

Q: What is your deposit deadline?
Our deposit deadline is May 1. The tuition deposit is $350 and is non-refundable after May 1. The housing deposit is $375 and is also non-refundable after May 1. If you want to reserve your spot at Seton Hall, we suggest you submit this by the deadline. In previous years, shortly after May 1, we had to stop taking deposits because our class was full.

Fall 2024 admitted students are permitted to request an extension to the May 1 deadline. Please email your admissions counselor or [email protected] for additional information on how to request an extension.

Q: If I'm accepted, can I defer my admission, and for how long?
Your admission decision can be deferred for up to one year. A request must be submitted to the Office of Admissions via email. Please complete the Deferment Application Form and be sure to include your student ID number. Your completed form can be sent to [email protected]. If you defer your admission, your University Scholarships (if applicable) will also be deferred for up to one year. Students can defer at any point in the admission cycle: they can defer their application, their admission or their deposit. All deferrals last one year. During the deferral period, you cannot attend another university. If you do, you will have to reapply as a transfer student and will lose any scholarship you may have received.

Q: Why do we have to pay a fee for Mobile Computing?
As part of the Mobile Computing Program all students receive a laptop computer. However, Mobile Computing is much more than just giving a student a laptop computer, we are utilizing technology to enhance the classroom experience, integrate technology into the learning process, creating a more learner-centered environment and preparing students with valuable skills.

All students are required to participate in the Mobile Computing Program.The Mobile Computing fee covers not just the laptop, which you are permitted to keep upon graduation, but also includes the $3,000 worth of software on the laptops, the Web space provided to students, the email account, the access throughout campus, the network upkeep, the development of educational integration, the help desk and repair services, etc. Most universities charge students a technology fee for access to computers and email. We are charging a similar fee, which is higher but also includes much more than most other Universities.

Q: What if I want to change my major?
If you want to change your major prior the start of classes, please contact the Office of Admissions at [email protected] or 973-313-6146 and they will determine if this change can be made.

Q: Can my admission to Seton Hall be rescinded?
Admission to Seton Hall University is at the University’s discretion and remains contingent upon the student maintaining appropriate grades, successfully completing the student’s current program, and engaging in conduct that is considered by the University to be appropriate. Conduct that is considered inappropriate may include, but is not limited to, suspensions, disciplinary or criminal activities, and behavior that calls into question the student’s moral character, honesty and/or maturity, such as improper speech on social media platforms and at events on or off campus. The University reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission as a result of the student’s failure to meet these standards, as well as other conditions, and bar the student from any future admissions consideration.

Open House

Students walking on campus.
Register Now
Join us virtually. Tour campus, learn about our academic programs, and meet current students and faculty.

Transfer Decision Weeks

UG Admission
Register Now
Interested in transferring? Receive a decision during your virtual appointment.

Apply Online

Francesca Regalado
Apply Now
Get a jump start on your Seton Hall University career and apply online.