Skip to Content
Division of Continuing Education and Professional Studies
Seton Hall students on the Seton Hall Green.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between synchronous and asynchronous?
Synchronous: Students and faculty meet at the same time/same day for instruction and learning via a web-conferencing tool such as Canvas Collaborate or MS Teams. All course materials are stored in Canvas for ease of access, assignment submission, and grading.
Asynchronous: An online course utilizes the Internet to deliver course content, correspondence, and assessment completely online, and does not generally meet in person. Physical materials, such as a textbook or lab materials, may be required for these courses. There are generally no set meeting days and times; however, the use of strategic synchronous sessions can provide students with a deeper understanding of the material. These sessions work best as optional and recorded to allow all students to benefit. All course materials are stored in Canvas for ease of access, assignment submission, and grading.
For more information on Course Design Models, visit

Will summer courses be asynchronous or synchronous? 
For Summer Session, the class meeting time will depend on how the individual faculty member has designed their online course. Some faculty will have regular meeting times and meet with the entire class on specified days and times as listed on the registration schedule. Other faculty may choose to record their lectures and engage students in different ways through discussion boards, projects and/or research. Specific information will be posted on the Canvas site for each course. If a student is unsure about the requirements of a particular course, they should email the professor for detailed instructions.

If I attend class in person, do I have to pay for parking?
Students enrolled in May Intersession, Summer I or Summer II courses who wish to park on the South Orange campus should purchase a Summer Permit. Summer Permits are valid from May 1 to August 31 of the year in which they were purchased. Parking is permitted between 6 a.m. and 2 a.m. daily until the day following commencement when parking will be permitted 24 hours a day. Summer Permits are currently available at the Parking Services Office located in Duffy Hall.
For more information on Parking Permits, visit

Are summer courses available for non-matriculating graduates?
As a non-matriculated student, you can enroll in graduate courses without being formally admitted to a program. You will have the same classroom experience as a matriculated student, and your credits can later be applied to one of our graduate programs should you be admitted. For more information, please visit

I plan to graduate in May 2024 with my bachelor’s degree. I may want to re-take an undergrad course to bring up my grade for my graduate degree application. Can I enroll in summer courses at Seton Hall?
Seton Hall offers students the opportunity to take undergraduate courses for credit without being formerly admitted and without enrolling in a degree program. To register for an undergraduate level course, you would complete the Non-matriculating application found at

When does registration open for summer 2024?
Registration opens for Seton Hall University students on March 21, 2024 at 7:45 a.m. 
Registration opens for Visiting Students a week later.

How many classes am I eligible to take?
Summer Session students may not take a program that exceeds six credits in the particular session. Students in the College of Arts & Sciences may not take more than four credits in Intersession I-II.

How much is tuition for summer 2024?
For the most up-to-date tuition and fees, please visit here.

Do you have a payment plan?
Seton Hall does not offer payment plans for summer terms. For more information on billing and payments, please visit here.

Is there financial aid available?
Students may not receive FEDERAL loans if they are ONLY registered for an intersession. The length of the session is too short and therefore does NOT qualify to receive a disbursement of funds. You may combine an intersession with a summer session or apply for an alternative loan at

Where do I find the list of courses available for summer?
For current Seton Hall University students, access to view and register for summer courses can be found on the Academics tab of PirateNet. For non-matriculating and visiting students, course listings can be found here.

Are grades for summer classes pass/fall or traditional letter grades (A,B,C,D,F)?
The University uses the letter grades on both the undergraduate and graduate levels to indicate the record of achievement in courses taken. For more information on the University Grading System, please visit

Do summer classes have final exams?
Class content and assignments are determined by how the individual faculty member has designed their course.

What if I decide I want to drop a class after registration?
Seton Hall University students may make schedule adjustments on the web or in person by completing an add/drop form. Visiting students making schedule adjustments will be assisted in the Office of the Registrar. Courses may be added or dropped no later than the day of the second scheduled class meeting. Add/drop forms may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar or from departmental offices.

FAQs Just for Visiting Students

Are summer courses available for visiting students? 
Students attending another college/university are eligible to enroll in summer courses at Seton Hall. If you are a current undergraduate student at another college/university, a Visiting Student Request to Register form is required. Please complete the form at and submit to the Office of the Registrar.

If you are currently matriculated in a graduate degree at another university and wish to take a graduate course at Seton Hall on a non-matriculated basis to fulfill one or more of your curriculum requirements at your home institution, please visit

I need a copy of a syllabus on a class to show my current advisor at my current college; how do I get a copy of this?
Please reach out to the Division of Continuing Education and Professional Studies for assistance on receiving copies of course syllabi at [email protected] or 973-761-9087.

What is the tuition for visiting students?
For the most up-to-date tuition and fees, please visit here.

What is the deadline for tuition payment for visiting students?
Payment can be made via check or credit card. Payment is due within 3 days of registration confirmation. For more information on payment options, please visit

How do visiting students register for a summer class?
Visiting students must complete a Request to Register form. If the course(s) you wish to take requires a prerequisite, please email an unofficial transcript from your current institution and send to Susan Brennan at [email protected] in order to confirm your eligibility to enroll in the course. For more information, please visit