The Department of Public Safety at IHS campus is committed to helping our members enjoy a safe and secure environment both on campus and off. Campus safety and security is everyone's responsibility. In the event of an on-campus emergency requiring immediate notification and response by police, fire, or emergency medical services agencies, please dial 911.
IHS Campus Emergency Contact Information
- Emergency: 9-1-1
- Non-Emergencies: (973) 542-6600
- Department of Public Safety: (973) 542-6600
- Email: [email protected]
- Overview: Interprofessional Health Sciences Campus Emergency Procedures Information (Presentation PDF) »
- Lost and Found »
The University Fire Safety Program is coordinated by the Department of Public Safety. The department ensures that Fire Safety Program functions are completed and that fire safety policy and procedures are reviewed and updated as needed. In case of a fire:
- Always know two ways out of a building and go to the nearest safe fire exit
- Follow exit signs to stairways
- Never use elevators in a fire (If you are stuck in an elevator remain calm and call the fire department by pushing the firemen's helmet button)
- If you are able, close all doors behind you on your way out
- Warn others as you evacuate
- Assist handicapped/ disabled individuals
- Every pod has an Emergency/Fire Evacuation stairwell leading to an outside exit located at the rear of each pod
- Immediately go to your assigned EAP
If you cannot safely evacuate due to fire/smoke conditions:
- Stay in the room you are in
- Seal the door with a wet towel or blanket-- anything to block the smoke
- Go to the window
- Wave a sheet or towel out the window and call for help
Run. Hide. Fight.
Since the events at Columbine High School and Virginia Tech, the response to the threat of an active shooter has become a critical emergency preparedness issue. Members of the University community should be aware of the threat and be familiar with procedures that can help them survive an active shooter event. More information »
Always be aware of your surroundings and don't tune out the world. When outside, avoid isolation and travel with a friend. ID cards are required to swipe into buildings. Never leave personal property unattended.
If you have a non-emergency problem anywhere outside the IHSC look for emergency phones and push the black button. Located in the parking lots and around the outside of the building they will immediately put you in contact with our Public Safety 24/7 Communications Center.
In an emergency push the red button on the emergency telephone. This will call 9-1-1 and connect you with both the Nutley Police Department and IHSC Public Safety.