In the category of experimental biophysics, my research projects evaluate the mechanical and dynamic differences that exist in the intracellular functions of cancer cells versus brain cells. More specifically, I am interested in studying differences that may exist due to the structural uniqueness of one of the intracellular bio filaments, microtubules. Microtubules are involved in cell division and cellular transportation. To this point, my research projects have focused on human breast cancer microtubules (MCF7) as our choice for cancer microtubules vs. brain microtubules.
In the category of theoretical and computational cancer biophysics, my research evaluates the dynamics of normal and tumor cells under different conditions. While my previous works were related to investigating the evolution of cells under treatment with various therapeutic agents, my recent objective is to assess the dynamics of cancer cells showing resistance to therapeutic agents.
- Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Selected recent publications:
- Feizabadi, M.S., Rosario, B., Hernandez, A.V. M. (2017) Electrostatic Differences: A Possible Source for the Functional Differences between MCF7 and Brain Microtubules. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 4,388-392.
- Feizabadi, M.S. (2017) Modeling Multi-Mutation and Drug Resistance: Analysis of Some Case Studies. Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling,14:6.
- Feizabadi, M.S., Rosario, B. (2017) MCF7 Microtubules: Cancer Microtubules with Relatively Slow and Stable Dynamic in Vitro, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 484, 354-357.
- Feizabadi, M.S. (2016) The Contribution of the C-Terminal Tails of Microtubules in Altering the Force Production Specification of Multiple Kinesin-1, Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, 74:373-380.
- Feizabadi, M.S., Jun Y., Reddy J.N. (2016) Distinction between Dynamic Characteristics of the Single EG5 Motor Protein along Neural vs. Cancerous Microtubules, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 478:1630-1633.
- Feizabadi M. S., Reddy J.N., Vadpey O, Jun Y., Chapman D., Rosenfeld S, Gross S. (2015) Microtubule C-terminal Tails can Change Characteristics of Motor Force Production, Traffic, 16: 1075–1087.
- Feizabadi, M.S., Witten, T.M. (2015) Modeling Drug Resistance in a Conjoint Normal-Tumor Setting, Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling, 12:3.
- Feizabadi, M.S., Jun Y. (2014). Kinesin-1 Translocation: Surprising Differences between Bovine Brain and MCF7-Derived Microtubules, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 454 (4), 543-546.
- Feizabadi, M.S., Witten, T.M. (2011). Modeling the Effects of a Simple Immune System and Immunodeficiency on the Dynamics of Conjointly Growing Tumor and Normal Cells, International Journal of Biological Sciences, 7(6), 700-707.
- Feizabadi, M.S., Mutafopulos, K.S., Behr, A. (2011). Measuring the Persistence Length of MCF7 Cell Microtubules in Vitro, Biotechnology Journal, 6, 882-887.
- University Research Council Award, 2011
- Provost's Faculty Scholarship Award Journal Publication, 2008, 2009, 2010
- The CDI Assessment Grant Award, 2012