Since 2003 I have been at Seton Hall teaching Chinese Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, Methods of Teaching Chinese and Japanese, and different levels of Chinese language courses. As Director of the Chinese Program, my goal is to encourage and engage students to learn Chinese, and help to make their learning of the difficult language easy, enjoyable and effective.
Trained in applied linguistics and linguistics, my special interests include syntax, L2 acquisition, and effectiveness of integrating computer technology in Chinese language classroom.
- Ph.D., McGill University, Canada, 1996
- M.A., Guangzhou Foreign Languages Institute, China, 1988
“Developing Electronic Teaching Portfolios: A Way to Success for Preservice Teachers,” Journal of Technology and Chinese Language Teaching. Vol. 8 (1): 66-85, June 2017.
“Can Language Exchange Help Beginners Develop Chinese Proficiency?” Journal of Chinese Teaching and Research in the U.S., 1-11, May 2017.
“Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language in the US: A Case Study,” International Chinese Language Education, Vol. 2 (1): 81-87, January 2017.
“A Linguistic Look at China’s Social Transformation,” Chinese Studies in the Global Age: New Topics, New Methods, and New Perspectives (Chapter) (pp. 223-241), Rutgers University, 2016.
"Translation and Translingual Competence: A Case Study," in Meiru Liu and Xuanming Luo (eds.) Problems in Teaching Chinese to English-Speaking Learners: The Role of Translation in Second Language Acquisition (Chapter) (pp. 1-8), The Edwin Mellen Press, March 2014.
The Course for Cross-Cultural Communication, Sun Yat-sen University Press, Guangzhou, 2014.
- "What can a smartphone offer to learners of Chinese?"
Journal of Technology and Chinese Language Teaching, Vol. 4 (2): 86-9, December 2013.
"Generative Syntax: Methods, Goals, Contributions, Debates and Future Directions, in Jenny Wang and Dongdong Chen (eds.) Linguistics (pp. 214-249), Renmin University Press, Beijing, November 2013.
"History of Teaching Chinese in America - In Commemoration of Three Giants," The Journal of Chinese Language Globalization Studies, Vol. (5), 16-27, June 2013.
Linguistics, Renmin University Press, Beijing, 2013.
"Digital Storytelling in Chinese: a Technology-Assisted Project," Journal of Chinese Language Teaching and Research in the U.S., Vol. (5), 150-157, April 2012.
- Digital Humanities Fellow, Seton Hall University, 2017
- Provost's Faculty Scholarship Award for Publication in a Top-tier Journal, Seton Hall University, 2009
- Monsignor Robert Sheeran Pirate of the Year Award, Seton Hall University, 2007
- Wuhan-Seton Hall Exchange Visiting Scholar, 2005
- Faculty Innovative Grant, Seton Hall University, 2004
- Faculty Innovative Grant, Seton Hall University, 2003
- CIDA/McGill Fellowship, McGill University, 1991-1995