Mission and Principles
The mission of the Pre-Professional Advising Center is to develop a centralized resource hub and provide streamlined developmental advising for scholars interested in pursuing careers in medicine and other healthcare fields. The P-PAC provides holistic student-focused advising, academic coaching, proactive information, exploratory workshops and resources to assist with professional school readiness. P-PAC is ready to support students through each stage of the application cycle process and collaboratively support students as they work towards their professional school goals.
At the Pre-Professional Advising Center, advising is an intentional, collaborative working partnership between the advisor and student. Grounded in teaching, developmental opportunities and learning, we:
- Encourage self-discovery and self-directed learning
- Promote student engagement in curricular and co-curricular experiences
- Assist in self-assessment, career exploration and academic success strategies
- Provide guidance and feedback throughout each phase of the application process
- Encourage professionalism, integrity and character development
- Provide developmental coaching
The following Guiding Principles evolve from professionalism in our work with students and within the community:
- Personal Development
The Pre-Professional Advising Center is committed to fostering an environment of belonging and inclusion for all, including those from diverse and underrepresented communities. P-PAC strives to provide equitable advising and build partnerships that support the advancement, acceptance and retention of SHU scholars, especially minority populations, in professional schools.