Skip to Content
Seton Hall University
Students walking to class on campus

Frequently Asked Questions



Lab and Pharmacy





Who is eligible to use Health Services?
Matriculated students who are currently enrolled in classes.

Can students who are not registered for summer classes utilize Health Services?
Students who are registered for classes in either the Summer or continuing students who are registered for the upcoming Fall semester may utilize Health Services in the summer.

Do I need an appointment to be seen at Health Services?
Appointments are recommended to best manage your medical needs. Please call Health Services so we can schedule an appointment that is right for you. Walk-in's are accommodated if the schedule allows.

Can I walk in to be seen?
Walk-in's can only be accommodated if the schedule allows. It is best to call ahead to make an appointment.

What happens if I have an appointment scheduled but I am running late or can't make it?
Please call Health Services. We may be able to reschedule your appointment. If you need to cancel, please do so as early as possible. We would like to offer that appointment to another patient.

Can my spouse and children be treated at Health Services?


Do I need a referral to see a specialist (i.e.: dermatologist, gynecologist, nutritionist, or psychiatrist)?
No referral is needed for those with the school-sponsored health insurance. Health Services staff can assist you with finding specialists if needed. If you carry other insurance, check your carrier's website for requirements.

Services Provided

Does SHU require an entrance physical?
No physical is required for general admission. Exceptions apply to athletics and some education programs. Please check with your individual school/program.

What should I do if I was sexually assaulted?
Getting to a safe place is the primary concern. If you need immediate help getting to a safe place call 911 for the police. Health Services is a confidential resource to you. The University has a number of confidential and private resources, as well as reporting options. Please refer here for more detail.

Can I have a vision screening?
A basic vision screen is offered in Health Services. We are not able to provide prescriptions for glasses or contacts.

Fee and Payment (Billing)

Will my parents find out why I was seen at Health Services if I bill my student account?
Any charge that is posted will be listed as Health Services. Unique detail is not provided.

What will happen if I don't pay my fees for services from Health Services?
Fees are charged to your bursar account. You may experience a delay in registration or a late fee if your account is not current.

Health Form/Medical Record/Patient's Rights

How do I get copies of my medical records?
A medical release is required. Submit your request to Health Services. Requests are typically filled within 48 hours.

How long do you keep medical records?
Medical records are kept for 10 years.

Will I be notified if there is a problem with my Health Form?
You will receive an email asking you to contact Health Services.

Can I get an excuse note for missing classes?
Notes are not given out on a routine basis. If you were seen in Health Services and your professor requires documentation, we can confirm your visit after receiving permission from you. Extended absences are handled through the Dean's office.


I could not get all of my pre-entrance immunizations, what should I do?
Call Health Services. These immunizations are available in Health Services.

If I am in the process of completing a vaccine series, will I be permitted to register before having the subsequent dose?
Yes. Please provide Health Services with existing documentation. You may continue the series at your own provider or at Health Services.

Does Health Services offer titer testing for immunity?

I received my vaccines from more than one clinician/facility - what information should I use?
Please submit all documentation.

What happens if I don't provide my vaccine information?
Incomplete records will result on a continuing hold on your account. You will not be able to register for class.

Class Registration/Holds

I submitted my form weeks ago, why do I still have a hold on my account?
It is likely that your records were incomplete. Please call Health Services for follow-up.

I have an immunization hold on my registration and can't register. What should I do?
Call Health Services. We can direct you as to actions that are required.

Immunization Record/Submission

If I have my own copy of health and immunization records, is it still necessary to complete the Immunization portion of the Health Form?
Please provide a copy of the documentation you have. We will review and provide direction as needed. I am a returning student.

Do I need to resubmit my immunization record?
Medical records are maintained for 10 years. Please call Health Services to confirm we have your records and that they are current. Some vaccines may need to be updated.

Lab and Pharmacy Questions


How and when do I get the results?
Most results are available within 48-72 hours and can be given over the phone. Some tests require a follow up appointment.

If I see a provider outside of Health Services, can I have my labs done at Health Services?
Laboratory requests by outside providers can usually be accommodated. We require a prescription with the desired tests and diagnostic code. Please call Health Services for specific questions.


What are the closest pharmacies to South Orange campus/Law school?

Do you sell over-the-counter medications?
No.  However, a small supply of over the counter medications may be provided during the visit. The bookstore sells a limited supply of over the counter medications.

If I am given a prescription from another provider, can I fill it at Health Services?


I am planning on traveling out of the country. What do I need to do to prepare?
Please call Health Services to schedule an appointment. Depending on your destination, we will offer guidance regarding vaccines and medications. We offer physical examinations and can provide necessary form completion. International students should confer with the Office of International Programs for signature on the mandatory travel clearance document (I-20).

What should I bring to my travel counseling appointment?
Please bring any forms that are required. It is best to make your appointment several weeks and/or months prior to your travel dates.



If I am covered by my parent's insurance plan or have other coverage, why would I need the school- sponsored health insurance?
Some students choose to have additional coverage. It is best to check your policy to see if local medical care and/or services are covered.

If I do not have the school-sponsored health insurance, can I still use Health Services?
Yes. It does not matter what insurance you carry. Please remember to bring your insurance card at time of visit.

Can I enroll my dependents into the school-sponsored health insurance?
Yes, if you yourself are enrolled. You may enroll dependents during the open enrollment period or after a qualifying event.

Can I obtain coverage if I don't meet the eligibility requirements for the school-sponsored health insurance?
Students enrolled in their last semester before graduation are able to continue coverage. Please complete the Request for Student Health Insurance form »

Am I eligible for the school-sponsored health insurance benefits while I'm on a medical leave of absence?
Once enrolled, your benefits will continue through the end of that benefit period.

Am I covered while I am out of the country?
Services are considered as out of network.

What happens to my coverage if I withdraw from the University?
You will maintain the health insurance for outside providers/services through the end of the benefit period. You will not be able to receive care in Health Services.

What happens to my coverage when I graduate?
You may be able to purchase a continuing policy. Please contact the health insurance company for more information.


Is dental treatment covered by the school-sponsored health insurance?
Care for injury to natural teeth is covered on a limited basis. Routine care and maintenance are not covered. Learn more about supplemental dental insurance or download the enrollment form in pdf format.

Does the school-sponsored health insurance offer vision insurance?
Vision coverage must be purchased separately.

I filed a claim, but haven't received either reimbursement or notification. What can I do?
For South Orange campus: log in to to review your claim status or call (800) 505-4160.

Insurance Waiver

What does "hard waiver" mean?
The term "hard waiver" means any full-time undergraduate and graduate/law student is required to show evidence of an existing health insurance policy or they will be enrolled in the school-sponsored health insurance. You will be asked to provide alternate insurance information when you waive the school-sponsored health insurance online.

I waived the school-sponsored health insurance but I no longer have other coverage. Can I still purchase the school-sponsored health insurance?
Yes. This is an example of a qualifying event. Please fill out a Request for Student Health Insurance form »