Skip to Content
Seton Hall University
Nursing student looking at a computer.

A College Guide for Students: A COVID-19 Resource

Dear Seton Hall Pirates,

During this time of stress, distance, and uncertainty please know that your Pirate family still has your back. We understand that you have needs that are important and that you may also need support. This guide was created to address some questions you might have as well as offer resources to help answer those questions. 

How to get money: 

If you lost a job or have reduced income

  • File for unemployment insurance with your state's Department of Labor. You will file for unemployment in the state that you WORKED in, not the state that you LIVE in. Filing for unemployment will provide you with temporary income and the process for applying has been simplified. 
  • Unemployment Insurance
  • Are you eligible for benefits? want to know how to file a claim?
  • Check here to find state specific information
  • Did you become infected with COVID-19 or ill during the pandemic, and therefore could not work.? You may be able to apply for workers compensation.
  • If you were exposed while at work at Seton Hall University – click for SHU Workers Compensation Policy
  • If you were exposed while working at a different employer, please contact that employer for their workers compensation policy and process.

Do you have a Federal Work-Study position?

  • Federally funded Work Study students will receive their regular pay for scheduled hours, whether they report to work or not, in compliance with federal guidance, and will not be charged sick leave.
  • How should you complete your timesheet? Click here for more information.

Did you file your taxes?

Keep looking for work!

  • Grocery stores and other essential services need new employees and are hiring. Check your city or town website for more information. Companies such as Amazon are also hiring, check their website for more information.

Resources may be hard to find. Websites such as can help find specific types of assistance based on what state you live in. 

How to handle your bills and other basic needs 

If you are having trouble paying your credit card bill, utility bill, or other bills.

  • Call the companies that send you bills to get your payments stopped or reduced. Be sure to detail that your financial circumstances have been affected due to COVID-19, which is information companies will need in to make adjustments to your payments.
  • Companies such as Comcast and Spectrum are offering free or affordable broadband internet to low-income households. To qualify, you must be eligible for public assistance programs such as the National School Lunch Program, Medicaid, or SNAP.

Do you have federal student loans?

  • Contact the Office of Financial Aid. The federal government is making it possible to ensure that your loans do not accumulate interest during this crisis and to keep you from having to make payments via the CARES Act. Find out what kinds of loans you have and whether you qualify.

Do you know about the CARES Act?

  • On March 27, 2020, the U.S. House of Representatives passed, and the President signed into law the "Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act" or the "CARES Act."
  • The CARES Act includes provisions that apply to certain loans owed by some federal student loan borrowers.
  • For specific information and a comprehensive FAQ about the CARES Act – click here.

Do you need to reduce your spending on food?

  • If you are still on or near campus, your meal plan can be a big help! 
  • The Pirates Cove will be used for takeout service ONLY!
  • Food Service will be operating out of the Pirates Cove (located in the University Center) from 7am – 7pm daily. All students remaining on campus will be allowed to get meals from the Pirates Cove.
  • The Pirates Cove will also be open to the entire University community for purchases.
  • Use a food pantry. Finding a local emergency food provider in your area is easy. Call 1(800) 5-HUNGER or visit here for locations near you.
  • Other free and low-cost emergency food aid programs can be found here.

Do you need to store your things or rent a moving truck or car?

  • U-HAUL is currently offering college students 30 days of free self-storage.
  • Penske Truck Rental is also providing 10% discounts for college students.
  • Car rental services are waiving the daily young renter surcharges that are normally charged if a driver is under 25. Hertz and Enterprise are waiving the surcharges for college students 18-24 through May 31.

Will there be prorated refunds for room, board, and parking?

  • At the recommendation of the administration, the Board of Regents unanimously approved prorated refunds for room, board, and parking. Like other universities that have committed to these types of refunds, Seton Hall is working through state and federal financial aid/Title IV funding regulations to ensure the refunds are processed in accordance with relevant laws and regulations. The process and relevant regulations are lengthy and complex. We anticipate refunds in April.
  • The University will provide prorated parking refunds for students at the IHS campus.

How to protect your health 

How do I protect myself from COVID-19?
1.   Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently with soap and water. (For a great example check it out here.)
2.    Increase your fluid intake.
3.    Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth, and face.
4.    Keep home/personal spaces clean; disinfect common surfaces.
5.    Avoid contact with sick people.
6.    Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue/paper towel and discard it immediately. If neither are available, the crook of your elbow is acceptable. DO NOT COUGH OR SNEEZE INTO YOUR HAND!

What if I feel sick?

COVID-19 causes a respiratory illness. Symptoms may include fever, cough and shortness of breath, runny nose, headache, and sore throat. In severe cases, the virus can cause pneumonia. There is no vaccine or treatment currently available for this or other coronaviruses.
1.    If you are off-campus: Stay home and contact your medical provider over the phone.
2.    If you are on-campus: call (rather than visit) University Health Services immediately.
3.    If you are diagnosed with COVID-19, Seton Hall asks that you give due regard to the health and safety of others and self-isolate.

What if I am struggling with non-physical issues related to COVID-19?

  • Seton Hall University encourages students to reach out to CAPS counselors when in need, even during this time away from campus. 
  • CAPS will provide remote support as needed and appropriate.
  • Students are encouraged to contact Campus Ministry at (973) 761-9478 to speak with a member of our priest community.

How do I access CAPS services during the COVID-19 crisis?

  • The hours of remote operation remain Monday-Friday from 8:45AM-4:45PM
  • Current clients can call (973) 761-9500 or contact their counselor via email to determine whether remote support may be appropriate.
  • Students who have never been to CAPS can receive support by calling (973) 761-9500. Our needs will be assessed via phone and we will provide support as needed and appropriate.
  • If you or someone you know are experiencing a psychological emergency after business hours: Call (973) 761-9500 and speak directly via phone with a trained crisis counselor. Or call 911 or go to your nearest hospital emergency room.

If you need tips on how to maintain emotional wellness during the COVID-19 crisis, click here for more information.

Seton Hall University has been sending updates regarding their COVID-19 response. Please make sure you stay up to date by visiting this website for the latest updates and checking your Seton Hall University email regularly.

You can also find answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Back to top