How to Take a Language Placement Test
All placements tests can be accessed from Blackboard by following these instructions:
Go to myweb.shu.edu/ultra/organization to get into your class’s organization, or follow this path:
Blackboard > Organizations > Freshman Studies (Center for Academic Success Class of 20XX) > Placement Testing > Language Placement (see image below)*
*Transfer students, use "Transfer Student Center" above in place of "Freshman Studies"
- Read the general information about the language placement tests.
- Locate your chosen language in the drop down list. Toggle it open if it’s closed.
- Click the link to access the Avant testing platform.
- Use the provided username and password to log in to your language’s test.
- Fill in the information as instructed as you move through the registration process.
* If you took a test in the past and are taking a new one in a different language, you can add a 2 after your last name to create a new/unique account.
- Once you complete the registration, you can begin the test.
- You do not have to complete the test in one sitting. Just use the log in information you created to access your existing test.
- Once you complete the online test, it takes up to one week (in business days) to be scored.
- You will be contacted with your placement when it becomes available. You will use this placement to register for the appropriate class.
Testing in Another Language Not Taught at Seton Hall University
Seton Hall does not provide placement tests for languages not taught here. However, students can take proficiency tests in a large variety of other languages—e.g., Polish, Urdu, Tagalog, Yoruba, etc. The results might allow you to fulfill your degree program’s language requirement in the same way as students who place out of a language that is taught here. Contact the Global Learning Center to discuss what options are available to you.