School of Diplomacy Events and Expert Interviews
Ask the Experts: Afghanistan - September 10, 2021
Diplomacy graduate student and former Afghan Ambassador Sayed Jalal Karim and U.S. Institute of Peace's Andrew Watkins were joined by Diplomacy faculty Dr. Sara Moller and Dr. Joey Huddleston. In a lively debate, the experts covered the latest developments in Afghanistan, possible regional fallout, and insights on what to expect next.
Robert Zoellick on Foreign Policy - March 3, 2021
Robert Zoellick, former World Bank President, Deputy Secretary of State, and US Trade Representative, joins Seton Hall Professor Dr. Ann Marie Murphy in an interview discussing U.S. Diplomacy and Foreign Policy and more.
Decolonizing IR Theory with Dr. Robbie Shilliam - November 13, 2020
Dr. Robbie Shilliam, Professor of International Relations at Johns Hopkins, discusses his research on the political and intellectual complicities of colonialism and race in the global order.
Ambassador Riyad Mansour Discusses the Middle East Peace Plan - November 19, 2020
Palestinian Ambassador Dr. Riyad Mansour joins the School of Diplomacy to discuss the Middle East Peace Plan, election results and more.
Middle East Peace Discussion - Adva Vilchinski - March 25, 2021
Middle East Peace Discussion with Israeli Consul for Public Diplomacy Adva Vilchinski
Women, Peace, and Security: UN Resolution 1325 and its influence on US Foreign Policy - October 15, 2020
Ambassador Currie discussed how WPS is forwarding US foreign policy and its role in the Great Power Competition.
- May 7, 2021 - H&M Roman Leadership Center: Diplomacy Leaders Speaker Series - Renata Koch Alvarenga
Renata Koch Alvarenga talks about her work experience, experience as an international student, and as a representative to UN organizations and conferences.
- April 8, 2021 - Terrorism and the Great Game
A discussion with Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) Andy Swedlow on the use of terrorism in the great game and its effects on the great power competition.
- April 6, 2021 - Yom Hashoah Holocaust Remembrance - Holocaust Survivor Sami Steigmann
The School of Diplomacy, the Israeli Consulate in New York and Seton Hall Hillel held the Yom Hashoah Holocaust Remembrance Event with Holocaust survivor Sami Steigmann, who talked about his story and more.
- March 26, 2021 - Closing Plenary - Women Peacemakers Before and After 1325
A discussion on "Women Peacemakers Before and After 1325: Learning Process on the Role of Women Peacemakers Globally" as part of the Conference on Women and Gender 2021.
- March 18, 2021 - Gilles Carbonnier, VP, International Committee of the Red Cross
Gilles Carbonnier, the Vice President of the International Committee of the Red Cross, a professor of economics, and Author of "Humanitarian Economics: War, Disaster, and the Global Aid Market" joined the School of Diplomacy for a discussion revolving around humanitarian action, policy and diplomacy in contemporary warfare.
- February 18, 2021 - Race and Diplomacy: How Racial Injustice in America Hinders Its Foreign Policy Professional Panel
The School of Diplomacy presents a virtual panel of young foreign policy experts of diverse backgrounds to discuss how racial injustice in America hinders its foreign policy.
- February 12, 2021 - H&M Roman Leadership Center Diplomacy Leaders Speaker Series - Russell Brooks
Russel Brooks joins the Diplomacy Cohort of the H&M Roman Leadership Center and talks about his leadership experience.
- January 22, 2021 - American Diplomacy Under President Biden’s Administration
School of Diplomacy faculty discuss potential Biden administration policies on international cooperation and American global leadership.
- October 1, 2020 - The Cubans: Book Talk with Anthony DePalma
Modern Cuba comes alive in a vibrant portrait of a group of families' varied journeys in one community over the last twenty years.
- September 24, 2020 - H&M Roman Leadership Center: Diplomacy Leaders Speaker Series - Alex Soborsky
Alex Soborsky joins the Diplomacy Cohort of the H&M Roman Leadership Center to talk about his long experience in intelligence and in the navy.
- September 18, 2021 - The Future of Global Health Security Featuring Dr. Yanzhong Huang
Dr. Huang answers questions about topics including public health policy, the WHO, the effect of COVID on developing nations, health-related jobs of the future.
The following interviews were conducted in the Spring and Summer of 2020
- Maggie Dougherty ’11, U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee
President of the Women of Diplomacy Leadership Program, Seva Tsivgas, interviews alumna Maggie Dougherty ’11, about her work, the challenges women face in Washington, and the opportunities.
- Featured Guest: Rachel Dean Wilson, Head of External Affairs, Alliance for Securing Democracy
President of the Women of Diplomacy Leadership Program, Seva Tsivgas, interviews Rachel Dean Wilson.
- Featured Guest: Col. Eric Lyon, Military Intelligence Officer
Undergraduate student Peter Eggerding interviews Colonel Eric Lyon, U.S. Army Military Intelligence officer, and Harvard National Security Fellow.
- Featured Guest: J. Nathan Bland, M.A. ’04, Foreign Service Officer, U.S. Department of State
The H&M Roman Leadership Center sits down with alumnus J. Nathan Bland, ’04, who has over fifteen years of experience with the U.S. Department of State.
- Featured Guest: Carrie Filipetti, U.S. Department of State
Seva Tsivgas, interviews Carrie Filipetti, who currently serves as the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Cuba and Venezuela in the Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs, U.S. Department of State.
- Featured Guest: Grace Chung ’10, Senior Community Development Officer, Local Initiatives Support Corporation NYC
Grace Chung is responsible for handling resource development for Local Initiatives Support Corporation NYC.
- Featured Guest: Adam Nielson, Cybersecurity Specialist
Adam Nielson has over 24 years of DoD, US Army, and NSA service in analyzing and exploiting information security vulnerabilities.
- Featured Guest: Dr. Martin Edwards, Department Chair and Associate Professor, School of Diplomacy and International Relations
Dr. Edwards discusses remote learning and the impact of COVID-19 on our community as well as its impact on international organizations.
- Featured Guest: Dr. Bryan Price, Executive Director, Buccino Leadership Institute
Seton Hall’s new interdisciplinary leadership program, the Buccino Leadership Institute, is headed by Lieutenant Colonel (Ret.) Bryan C. Price, Ph.D.
Featured Guest: Dr. Philipp H. Fluri, Deputy Director, The Geneva DCAF Centre for Security, Development and the Rule of Law
Dr. Philipp Fluri is a former Swiss diplomat who specializes in international security.