Seton Hall University

Withdrawal Information

Information about withdrawing from the University.

Before you consider withdrawing, understand that withdrawal is from all classes and the University, not just one or a few classes. It means you may have determined it is in your best interest to not complete the semester or to not return for the next semester. Before you make your decision, please review our Withdrawing from the University guide, which will walk you through the different scenarios and implications to withdrawing.

Withdrawing from the University Guide »

By registering for classes, a student has entered a legal and binding contract to pay all tuition and fees to Seton Hall University. Non-attendance of classes does not constitute an automatic withdrawal. Students who seek to withdraw from all courses must complete the official withdrawal process. Students who find it necessary to withdraw from any school/college of the University on a temporary or permanent basis should initiate the withdrawal process by completing the appropriate form, as noted below. Students who are recipients of federal financial aid should consult with the Office of Financial Aid prior to withdrawing to confirm what, if any, impact their withdrawal may have on their financial aid eligibility.

Undergraduate students must submit an Undergraduate Request for Withdrawal Form and meet with the Dean of Students and Community Development. The Office of Community Development will forward the withdrawal form to the Office of the Registrar. Students who withdraw from the University for any reason, including medical withdrawal, are still be subject to charges. Please see the Financial Implications of Withdrawing from the University policy for details.

Graduate students must submit a Graduate Request for Withdrawal Form to the Office of the Registrar. Simultaneously, students should inform their program director of this decision. Students who withdraw from the University for any reason, including medical withdrawal, are still be subject to charges. Please see the withdrawal policy for details.

International students (undergraduate or graduate) must submit the appropriate Request for Withdrawal Form and consult with the Office of International Programs regarding with withdrawal options.

It is imperative that this documentation is provided as soon as possible after the decision to withdraw has been made. Any request to withdraw officially from the University must be made prior to the end of the semester. Requesting to withdraw from all courses constitutes an official withdrawal from the University. Students who are enrolled in only one course and request a “WD” grade will be officially withdrawn from the University.

When students file the Request for Withdrawal Form within the official withdrawal period, as indicated in the University Academic Calendar, they will automatically receive “WD” grades in all their courses. If the request to withdraw is made after the official withdrawal period, then the posting of “WD” grades is not automatic. In this case, the student must submit a Course Adjustment Form to each professor to request a “WD” grade.

Students who wish to withdraw from the University should consult the Undergraduate/Graduate Catalogue for the general policy for tuition credit, which is based on prorated charges keyed to the date of actual withdrawal after the end of the add-drop period. For courses that follow a non-traditional timeframe, withdrawal requests must be received by the 50 percent mark of the course. Students who withdraw from one or more courses but remain actively registered for any other course during the term are ineligible for any credit or refund.

Once students officially withdraw from the University, they do not have access to PirateNet or their SHU email account. Access is restored if/when the student is accepted for reactivation.

Medical Withdrawals

The only exception to the official deadline to withdraw is for documented cases of medical/health problems that preclude the student from completing the semester. Students are still required to file a withdrawal form before the end of the semester. A Curriculum Adjustment Form is not required in cases of documented medical withdrawals. Medically withdrawn students are still subject to the same financial obligations as all other students, as outlined in the Financial Implications of Withdrawing from the University policy.

Undergraduate students who withdraw for medical reasons must submit medical documentation with their withdrawal form to the Dean of Students and Community Development.

Graduate Students must submit medical documentation with their withdrawal form to the Office of the Registrar.

The documentation must specify the medical reason in general terms, the date of onset and inclusive dates of the illness/condition that is requiring a withdrawal and confirmation that the withdrawal is required by the illness/condition. Documentation must be on official office letterhead or alternate official stationery.

Active Military Withdrawals

Students who are activated for military service should contact the University Registrar for assistance. If the activation date occurs late in a semester, students may qualify for an incomplete grade in some or all of their courses. In this case, students should file a Course Adjustment Form on which the faculty member will specify the work that must be completed to resolve the incomplete. In the event that the military activation date falls early in a semester, the student may be dropped from any course that he/she cannot complete. In this case, tuition charges for any dropped course will be removed from the student's account.

Effective Date

February 28, 2019