Dr. Wiedman advises the 3B Laboratory (Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Biomaterials). This lab studies Drug Synergy to develop new methods to treat infectious diseases. They use a range of techniques to achieve this goal from Analytical Chemistry (HPLC, Mass Spec, Impedance Spectroscopy, Circular Dichroism, and more!) The 3B Lab creates new therapeutic molecules using both combinatorial approaches (using Peptide Screens, SELEX) as well as rational design (using crystal structural analysis, NMR, modeling). Furthermore The 3B Lab is actively training students and members in cell culture techniques (fungal, bacteria, mammalian) to help facilitate interdisciplinary work.
- Postdoc, Rutgers University Public Health Research Institute
- Ph.D., Materials Science, Johns Hopkins University
- B.S., Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania
- Guha, S.; Ferrie, R.P., Ghimire, J; Ventura C.R. †; Wu, E.; Sun, L.; Kim, S.Y.; Wiedman G.R.; Hristova, K.; Wimley, W.C. Applications and evolution of melittin, the quintessential membrane active peptide. Biochemical Pharmacology 2021 In Press
- Ventura, C.R.†; Wiedman G.R.* Substituting azobenzene for proline in melittin to create photomelittin: A light-controlled membrane active peptide. BBA-Biomembranes 2021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamem.2021.183759
- Tancer, R.J.†; Baynes, K.‡; Wiedman, G.R.* Synergy among humimycins against methicillin‐resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Pept. Sci. 2020. doi: 10.1002/pep2.24197
- Kmeck, A.†; Tancer, R.J.†; Ventura, C.R.†; Wiedman, G.R.* Synergies with and resistance to membrane-active peptides. Antibiotics 2020, 9, 1–15, doi:10.3390/antibiotics9090620.
- Wiedman G*, Zhao Y, Perlin DS. A Novel, Rapid, and Low-Volume Assay for Therapeutic Drug Monitoring of Posaconazole and Other Long-Chain Azole Class Antifungal Drugs. mSphere 2018.
- Chen C, Starr CG, Troendle EP. Wiedman G, Wimley WC, Ulmschneider JP, Ulmschneider MB. Simulation-guided rational de novo design of a small pore-forming antimicrobial peptide. JACS. (2019)
- University Teaching Fellowship: 2021-2022
- NeverGerms Sponsored Research Agreement: 2020-2021
- University Research Council Fellowship: 2019-2020
- Preparing Future Faculty for Teaching (PFFT) Fellowship CIRTL 2014-2015
- IGERT Fellowship Johns Hopkins University 2011-2015