Most of my scholarship involves domestic propaganda and the way it helps to construct a rhetorical community even as it fosters depictions of an enemy or Other. The discourse of the World War II home front draws most of my attention, although I have also published research on the Civil War era and the Cold War.
- PhD, University of Maryland
- MA, Kansas State University
- BSEd, University of Nebraska
- Plunkett, S., & Kimble, J. J. (Eds.) (2018). Enduring ideals: Rockwell, Roosevelt & the Four Freedoms. New York: Abbeville Press.
- *International traveling exhibition now at New-York Historical Society (https://www.nrm.org/2017/02/enduring-ideals-rockwell-roosevelt-and-the-four-freedoms/) (May 25 – September 2, 2018)
- *Exhibition catalog, co-edited with S. H. Plunkett (https://store.nrm.org/pre-order-enduring-ideals-rockwell-roosevelt-and-the-four-freedoms.html) (Abbeville Press, 2018)
- Goodnow, T., & Kimble, J. J. (Eds.) (2017). The 10¢ war: Comic books, propaganda, and World War II. Oxford: University Press of Mississippi. (https://www.amazon.com/10-Cent-War-Comic-Propaganda/dp/1496810309) (co-edited with T. Goodnow; University Press of Mississippi, 2017) (republished in paperback, 2018)
- Kimble, J. J. (2018). Mrs. Jekyll meets Mrs. Hyde: The War Advertising Council, rhetorical norms, and the gendered home front in World War II. Western Journal of Communication, 82, 1-19.
- Kimble, J. J. (2017). Framing the president: Franklin D. Roosevelt, participatory quests, and the rhetoric of possibility in World War II propaganda. Speaker & Gavel, 54(1), 94-112.
- Kimble, J. J. (2016). Rosie's secret identity, or, how to debunk a woozle by walking backward through the forest of visual rhetoric. Rhetoric & Public Affairs, 19, 245-274.
- Kimble, J. J. (2016). Spectral soldiers: Domestic propaganda, visual culture, and images of death on the World War II home front. Rhetoric & Public Affairs, 19, 535-570.
- Prairie Forge: The Extraordinary Story of the Nebraska Scrap Metal Drive of World War II (https://www.amazon.com/Prairie-Forge-Extraordinary-Story-Nebraska/dp/0803248784/ref=la_B001JS2JMY_1_3s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1523890538&sr=1-3C:\Users\kimbleja\Documents\aaa%20writing%20projects) (University of Nebraska Press, 2014)
- Scrappers: How the Heartland Won World War II (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1262954/) (Catfish Studios documentary, 2010)
- Mobilizing the Home Front: War Bonds & Domestic Propaganda (https://www.amazon.com/Mobilizing-Home-Front-Presidential-Communication-ebook/dp/B005MXP4Z6/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8) (Texas A&M University Press, 2006)
- Fulbright Scholar, University of Rijeka, Croatia
- Co-curator, Norman Rockwell Museum international traveling exhibition
- Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award, National Communication Association
- Senior Fellow, Rockwell Center for American Visual Studies
- Rose B. Johnson Southern Communication Journal Article Award
- Distinguished Honor Graduate, U.S. Army Chaplain Center and School
- President's Award for Service to Students, Seton Hall University