Santiago Castiello-Gutiérrez, PhD
Department of Education Leadership Management and Policy
Dr. Santiago Castiello-Gutierrez is an Assistant Professor of higher education at Seton Hall University in the Department of Education Leadership, Management and Policy. Dr. Castiello-Gutiérrez is a scholar-practitioner whose work is centered on the intersection of organizational theory around higher education institutions, their global interconnectedness, and current global policies and practices of internationalization of higher education.
He has authored or co-authored over 30 scholarly publications and has presented his work at numerous international academic conferences. His research has been highlighted by mass-media outlets such as PBS and the Chronicle of Higher Education. Prior to moving to the United States, Dr. Castiello-Gutiérrez worked for nine years in México as Director for International Cooperation at the Tecnológico de Monterrey System where he later was appointed as the first Director for International Programs of the innovative shared services center.
Dr. Castiello-Gutiérrez is a former CONACyT fellowship recipient and has been distinguished as an Erasmus Circle Scholar by the University of Arizona’s College of Education. In 2022 he was awarded the “Dissertation of the Year” award by the Comparative and International Education Society (CIES) Higher Education SIG. As a scholar-practitioner, he is also the 2019 recipient of the Harold Josephson Award for Professional Promise in International Education of the Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA).
- Ph.D. in Higher Education, University of Arizona
- M.A. in Finance, EGADE Business School - Tecnológico de Monterrey
- B.S. in Industrial and Systems Engineering, Tecnológico de Monterrey
Recent Scholarship (2020-2022)
- Castiello-Gutiérrez, S. (2022). From Being to Becoming: An International Student’s Journey at Becoming an International Education Scholar. Journal of International Students, 12(S2), 12-31. https://doi.org/10.32674/jis.v12iS2.4456
- Schiffecker, S. ., McNaughtan, J., García, H., Castiello-Gutiérrez, S., & Li, X. (2022). Leading the many, considering the few: University presidents’ perspectives on international students during COVID-19. Journal of Comparative & International Higher Education, 14(3B). https://www.ojed.org/index.php/jcihe/article/view/3822
- Tozini, K. & Castiello-Gutiérrez, S. (2022) University Support, Social Support, and Financial Well-Being: International Students in the U.S. Coping with COVID-19. Journal of College Student Development 63(2), 134-150. doi:10.1353/csd.2022.0011.
- * Whatley, M. & Castiello-Gutiérrez, S. (2021) Balancing Finances, Politics, and Public Health: International Student Enrollment and Reopening Plans at US Higher Education Institutions. Higher Education. Online first. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-021-00768-7
- Castiello-Gutiérrez, S.; Robbins, K.; García, H.; & McNaughtan, J. (2021) Educators, not Bureaucrats: How Managerial Professionals at International Centers Engage in Job Crafting and Create Meaning in their Work. Studies in Higher Education, 46(11) 2167-2182 https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2020.1716317
- Castiello-Gutiérrez, S., & Li, X. (2020). We are More Than Your Paycheck: The Dehumanization of International Students in the United States. Journal of International Students, 10(3) i-iv. https://doi.org/10.32674/jis.v10i3.2676
- Castiello-Gutiérrez, S. (2020) No Fees to Enroll Them All?: The State of College Access in México. Journal of Comparative and International Higher Education 12(Spring), 27-38. https://doi.org/10.32674/jcihe.v12iSpring.1132
* Recipient of the 2022 CIES Study Abroad & International Students SIG Best Article Award
Books and Monographs
- Castiello-Gutiérrez, S.; Pantoja Aguilar, M. P.; & Gutiérrez Jurado, C.E. (eds.) (2022). Internacionalización de la Educación Superior después de la COVID-19: Reflexiones y nuevas prácticas para tiempos distintos. Universidad Popular Autónoma del Estado de Puebla.
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
- Garcia, H. A.; McNaughtan, J.; Schiffecker, S., Castiello-Gutiérrez, S. & Li, X. (forthcoming). The Face of the University: Presidential Leadership During the Global Pandemic. In A. W. Wiseman, C. Matherly, & M. Crumley-Effinger (Eds.). Internationalization and Imprints of the Pandemic on Higher Education Worldwide. Emerald
- Castiello-Gutiérrez, S.; Gozik, N. (2022). Decolonizing Education Abroad: Towards an Equity-Driven Approach. In H. Barclay Hamir, & N. Gozik (Eds.). A House Where All Belong: Redesigning Education Abroad for Inclusive Excellence (pp. 183-202). Forum on Education Abroad
- Castiello-Gutiérrez, S. & Camacho Lizárraga, M. I. (2021) Lessons Learned? Internationalization of Higher Education in Mexico from H1N1 to COVID-19. In K. Bista, R. M. Allen, & R. Y. Chan (eds.), Impacts of COVID-19 on international students and the future of student mobility (pp. 184-202). Routledge. DOI: 10.4324/9781003138402
- ** Lee, J. J.; Castiello-Gutiérrez, S. (2021). Where Do We Go From Here? In J. J. Lee (Ed.), U.S. Power in International Higher Education. (pp. 207-218). Rutgers University Press
- ** Haupt, J. P.; Castiello-Gutiérrez, S. (2020). Institutional Impact of Education Abroad: Degree Completion, Alumni Giving, Quality, and Reputation. In. A. Ogden; B. Streitwieser; & C. Van Mol (Eds.), Education abroad: Bridging and scholarship and practice. (pp. 155-168). Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group. DOI: 10.4324/9780429431463-10
- Castiello-Gutiérrez, S. & Camacho Lizárraga, M. I. (2020). PUENTES Program: An Institutional Response Claiming for Bridges in a Time of Trumpeting Walls. In U. Gaulee; S. Sharma & K. Bista (Eds.), Rethinking Education Across Borders: Emerging Issues and Important Insights on Globally Mobile Students. (pp. 157-174) Springer. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-15-2399-1_9
** These edited volumes were awarded the 2021 and 2020 (respectively) CIHE Award for Significant Research on International Higher Education by the Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
Honors and Recognitions
- Feb 2022 - Recipient of the Comparative and International Education Society's Higher Education SIG "Dissertation of the Year" award.
- Feb 2022 - Recipient of the Comparative and International Education Society's Study Abroad and International Students SIG "Best Article" award.
- Jan 2019 - Recipient of the Harold Josephson Award for Professional Promise in International Education, Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA)
- Nov 2017 - Erasmus Circle Scholar Distinction, University of Arizona, College of Education
- CONACyT International Fellow: 2015-2019