Amadu Kaba, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology
Department of Sociology Anthropology Social Work and Criminal Justice
Amadu Jacky Kaba is Professor of Sociology at Seton Hall University, in the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work. He is among the most productive social scientists in the United States, already with almost 80 scholarly publications, including six books and over 50 full-length scholarly journal articles. Prior to returning to Seton Hall University in 2005, he worked with the late renowned political scientist, Professor Ali A. Mazrui (Post-Doctoral Fellowship), teaching and conducting research in the Social Sciences both at Binghamton University, State University of New York, and Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, from July 2002 to June 30, 2005. Kaba teaches many different courses, including Research Methods, Sociology of Education, Politics and Society, Global Stratification, Senior Seminar, and Introduction to Sociology.
- Ph.D., Seton Hall University, 2002
- M.P.A., Seton Hall University, 1998
- B.A., Seton Hall University, 1997
Selected Publications (2012 to present)
Google Scholar List of Dr. Kaba's Scholarly Publications
- Kaba, Amadu Jacky. 2018. The Black American Gender Gaps: American Citizenship, Educational Attainment, and National Leadership Positions. Austin, Texas: Pan-African University Press.
- Kaba, Amadu Jacky. 2017. America's ‘Great Immigrants': An Analysis of Carnegie Corporation's Honorees, 2006-2015. London: Adonis & Abbey Publishers Ltd.
- Ali A. Mazrui and Amadu Jacky Kaba. 2016. The African Intelligentsia: Domestic Decline and Global Ascent. Trenton: Africa World Press.
- Kaba, Amadu Jacky. 2016. Africa: Development Challenges and Possibilities. Austin, Texas: Pan-African University Press.
- Kaba, Amadu Jacky. 2014. Monitoring the Health of U.S. Professional Athletes: The Body Mass Index of NBA and WNBA Players, 2005-2006. London: Adonis & Abbey Publishers Ltd.
- Kaba, Amadu Jacky. 2013. Profile of Contributors to the American Economic Review, 2010: Human Capital Theory, Gender and Race. Irvine, California: Scientific Research Publishing, Inc.
Selected Scholarly Journal Articles (2012 to present)
- "Educational Attainment, Citizenship, and Black American Women in Elected and Appointed National Leadership Positions," 2017. The Review of Black Political Economy, 44, (1-2): 99-136.
- "Inheritance: The Net Worth of the 2011 Root Magazine's 100 Most Influential Young Black Americans," 2017. African Renaissance, 14 (1-2): 139-170.
- "Explaining the High Cost of Higher Education to Black Americans: A Focus on Black American Women," 2017. Sociology Mind, 7, (4): 171-196.
- "Conceptualizing Tolerance as Recognition: Black American Endowed and Distinguished Professors of Education in US Colleges and Universities," 2016. Sociology Mind, 6, (1): 1-31.
- Fredline A. O. M'Cormack-Hale and Amadu Jacky Kaba. 2015. "The Obama Administration and U.S.-Africa Relations," Western Journal of Black Studies, 39, (3):238-255.
- "Explaining the Rapid Increase in Nigeria's Sex Ratio at Birth: Factors and Implications," 2015. African Journal of Reproductive Health, 19, (2): 17-33.
- "The Paradoxes of Africa's Development: African Union's Contributions to Africa's Recent Achievements, 2005-2014," 2014 [published in April 2015]. Journal of African Foreign Affairs, 1, (2): 55-72.
- "Contributors to the American Sociological Review, 2010," 2015. Sociology Mind, 5, (2): 114-146.
- "Hurricane Katrina: Perspectives on Winners and Losers," 2014. Journal of African American History, 99, (3): 290-298.
- "A Statistical Report on the Educational Attainment Status of Black Americans," 2014. African Renaissance, 11, (2): 79-100.
- "Challenges to the Study of Islamic Education in African Universities," 2014. American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences, 31, (3): 23-49.
- "Profile of Contributors to the American Political Science Review, 2010," 2013. Journal of Politics and Law, 6, (2): 54-82.
- "Black Americans, Gains in Science and Engineering Degrees, and Gender," 2013. Sociology Mind, 3 (1): 67-82
- "Black Americans and Interracial Marriage: A Focus on Black Women," 2012. Sociology Mind, 2, (4): 407-427.
- "Analyzing the Anglo-American hegemony in the Times Higher Education Rankings," 2012. Education Policy Analysis Archives, 20, (21): 1-53.
- "The Exclusion of Black Women from National Leadership Positions in the United States: Taxation with Limited Representation," 2012. Sociology Mind, 2, (2): 133-140.
- "Demographics and Profile: The Most Cited Black Scholars in the Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities", Journal of Pan African Studies, 3(2), September 2009
- "Population Increase, Environment, Food Access and Development in Africa: The Role of the African Union", Journal of African Policy Studies, 12(23), 42- 68, April 2009
- "Kenya-US Relations: The Urgent Need to Manage Kenya's Migrant and HIV/AIDS Brian Drain", Journal of Pan African Studies, 1(6), 79- 86, April 2009
- "Africa's Development in the Era of Barack Obama: The Role of the African Union", Journal of Pan African Studies, 2(9), 101- 116, March 2009
- "African Americans and U.S. Politics: The Gradual Progress of Black Women in Political Representation", The Review of Black Political Economy, 36(1), 29- 50, February 2009
- "Life Expectancy, Death Rates, Geography and Black People: A Statistical World Overview", Journal of Black Studies, 39(3), 337- 347, February 2009
- "Sex Ratio at Birth and Racial Differences: Why Do Black Women Give Birth to More Females Than Non-Black Women?", African Journal of Reproductive Health, 12(3), 139- 150, December 2008
- Researcher of the year, College of Arts and Sciences, Seton Hall University, 2017
- Researcher of the year, College of Arts and Sciences, Seton Hall University, 2011