I am taking a sabbatical for the 2023-2024 academic year and will be back in my office in August 2024.
As a cultural and developmental psychologist, I am interested in cultural differences and multiculturalism among Easterners, Westerners, and immigrants with regard to their identity development. Over the past several years, I have been involved in many large-scale funded research projects with theoretical, methodological, and applied concentrations. The purpose of my primary research is to understand the complex relationships between cognitive and socio-cultural constructs and how these constructs contribute to social values and identity development between Eastern and Western adolescents and emerging adults. My goal is to build a bridge between socio-cultural and developmental areas of psychology. More specifically, I have conducted multiple studies to re-evaluate cultural perspectives in moral identity; in moral decision-making using an experimental design; in values orientations using interviews; in environmental identity using longitudinal and mixed methods approaches; and in socio-cultural models on English as a second language acquisition.
- Ph.D., Wilfrid Laurier University, 2016
- MA., Wilfrid Laurier University, 2010
- BA., University of Winnipeg, 2008
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- ^Jia, F., & *Yu, H. (2021). Action, communication, and engagement: How parents “ACE” children’s pro-environmental behaviors. Journal of Environmental Psychology. 74, 101575.
- ^Jia, F., Alisat, S., *Algrim, K., & Pratt, M. (2020). Development of religious identity and commitment during emerging adulthood: A mixed-method longitudinal study. Emerging Adulthood. 9(3), 259-264.
- *Medina, V., *Deronda, A., *Ross, N., *Curtin, D., & ^Jia, F. (2019). Revisiting Environmental Belief and Behavior among Ethnic Groups in the U.S. Frontiers in Psychology. 10, 629.
- ^Soucie, K., ^Jia, F., Zhu, Na., & Pratt, M. W. (2018). The co-development of generative concern and community involvement pathways in emerging and young adulthood. Developmental Psychology. 54, 1971-1976.
- ^Jia, F., Soucie, K., Alisat, S., Curtin, D*., & Pratt, M. (2017). Are environmental issues moral issues? Moral identity in relation to protecting the natural world. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 52, 104-113.
- ^Krettenauer. T., Murua., A., & Jia, F. (2016). Age-related difference in moral identity across adulthood. Developmental Psychology. 5, 972-984.
(* indicates SHU student authorship; ^ indicates the corresponding authorship)
- Scientific Reports (2021-present)
- PLOS Climate (2021-present)
- BMC Psychology (2019-present)
- Frontiers in Psychology (2019-present)
Editorial Board Member:
- Emerging Adulthood (2019-present)
- Journal of Environmental Psychology (2019-present)
- Journal of Moral Education (2017-present)
- Journal of Adolescent and Family Health (2017-2021)