Incoming F1 Students
How to Apply
How to Apply for F1 Visa Status
In order to apply for F-1 status, a student must obtain the form I-20, issued by the Office of International Programs. The form I-20 certifies to the U.S. embassy abroad that a student has been accepted to a SEVP-approved university and has provided enough finances to pay for the cost of their education and living expenses.
- Apply to a program at Seton Hall (Undergraduate & ESL, Graduate)
- Complete the I-20 Application » while you wait for your acceptance to the program. Upload the I-20 application and necessary documents to the secure web portal »
- Receive your I-20 Form - ESL students must submit a tuition deposit before receiving their I-20 form
- Schedule your F-1 Visa Appointment - You will need the I-20 information to schedule your F-1 visa appointment by completing Form DS-160 ($160) and paying the SEVIS I-901fee ($350). Check visa appointment wait times below.
- Arrive in the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the program start date on your I-20 Form.
Spring semester - December 15
Fall semester - July 30
*Students already in the U.S. on F1 status can receive an I-20 up until the first day of class.
Check Visa Appointment Wait Times - Due to COVID-19, some countries require several months wait time for visa appointment. Students may request emergency appointment, however it is not guaranteed.
International Student Experience
- Undergraduate Admissions
Explore the Undergraduate Admissions site for more information about applying to Seton Hall University to complete an undergraduate degree.
- English As a Second Language
As an international student you can enroll in Seton Hall University's English as a Second Language Program.
- Graduate Departments
Find information about applying to Seton Hall University to complete an graduate degree.
- Housing and Residence Life
Find information about housing options on-campus and general campus life information for Seton Hall University.
- Seton Hall Virtual Tour
Join our student tour guides on a walking tour of Seton Hall's campus, with videos of each location offered fully in 360-degrees.