Office of International Programs
Young adults holding flags from different countries.

F-1 Visa Student FAQs

How to apply for on-campus housing
Once you have been accepted to Seton Hall University:

  1. Pay your housing deposit online.
  2. Complete the roommate survey here. You will need your SHU username and password to enter the site.

A few notes about housing:

  • You must do steps 1 and 2, in order for your housing application to be complete.
  • On-campus housing is limited, so you should secure your spot by making a deposit and completing the roommate survey by May 1 or as soon as possible.
  • If you live on campus, you must participate in a University meal plan. The University offers a variety of options to suit your lifestyle, including varying numbers of meals, guest passes and Pirate Bucks (a debit-like card you can use across campus). If you do not select a meal plan and plan to live on campus, Meal Plan 1 will be selected for you. You will have until the end of Add/Drop each semester to change your meal plan.

Can International Students waive Seton Hall's health insurance?
International Students are not allowed to waive the school insurance plan unless their scholarship covers them for insurance.

How to submit health services immunization and health questionnaire?
Every student is required to submit a Health History form, TB Risk Assessment, and Meningitis Information Sheet which can be found online in the Student Health Portal. Login with your PirateNet credentials. Instructions are provided within the portal.

You may also find the immunization requirements on the Health Services website » 

Which airport is the closest to Seton Hall University?
Newark airport (EWR) is the closest airport to all 3 of about a 20 minute drive from the South Orange campus. However students also do fly into John F. Kennedy (JFK) airport in NY, which is approximately 1.5 hours from campus.

How do I get to campus from the airport?
Please see the following options available for a private car service or shuttle. They can be found on the international student resources webpage under Transportation Links.

Work Permissions for Students on an F1 Visa:
F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

Are there resources for Off-Campus Housing?
Seton Hall University is not affiliated with any of the housing options below. We are only providing this to you as a resource.

Websites with housing options:

Suggested towns to look for housing:
These towns, except for South Orange, are not in walking distance to the SHU campus. Please look for housing near the train station to be able to get to campus easily.

  • South Orange
  • Maplewood
  • Morristown
  • West Orange
  • Millburn
  • Hoboken