Office of International Programs
International flags in a cup and students reading books in the background.

J-1 Exchange Students and Scholars

How to Apply for the J-1 Visa
  1. Complete the appropriate DS-2019 Application for your category at SHU
  2. Submit your application to OIP via this form
  3. Make your J-1 Visa appointment at U.S. Embassy abroad, once OIP issues your DS-2019 form. Students must pay the DS-160 fee to make appointment.
  4. Pay the $220 I-901 SEVIS fee for J1 Visa 

J-1 students and scholars require a DS-2019 to enter and remain in the United States. They have been selected by an exchange visitor program sponsor and require a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa if outside the United States.

The J-1 Exchange Visitor category was developed to implement the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act (Fulbright-Hayes Act) of 1961. The overall purpose of that Act, and the objective of the Exchange Visitor category, is "to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges."

To Qualify:
  1. Be a current student at one of our partner universities listed here »
  2. Have been nominated by your home university to join the exchange program
J-1 Students - Full-time Semester
  • If you will study full-time (minimum 4 classes per semester) please complete the following form: Application for J-1 Exchange Student»,  Once you have submitted your DS-2019 application, please email [email protected] to receive the next steps on how to enroll in courses, obtain housing (if applicable), submit health history, and pay university bill.
J-1 Scholars and Professors

If you would like to apply for a DS-2019 as a visiting research scholar or professor please contact Terri Demarest in the Human Resources Department at [email protected].