Skip to Content
Office of International Programs

Explanation of J-1 Status

What does it mean to be "in status"?
The Department of State (DOS) considers you to be in valid J-1 status if you fulfill all of the conditions of your J-1 visa. The conditions are as follows:

  • Attend the school listed on the DS-2019 you used to enter the US
  • Maintain the validity of your passport and DS-2019 form
  • Maintain good academic standing
  • Maintain sufficient financial resources to avoid becoming a "public charge"
  • Enroll each semester as a full-time student
  • Obtain health insurance which meets Department of State standards
  • Work no more than 20 hours per week on-campus while classes are in session with specific written authorization obtained before you begin employment from your J-1 sponsor
  • Work off-campus only with specific written authorization from your J-1 sponsor
  • Complete the J-1 transfer procedure to change schools within the US
  • Extend your stay in your degree program before the completion date on your DS-2019
  • Complete the change of level procedure when changing from one educational level to another in a timely manner

When does the Department of State consider me to be "out of status"?
DOS considers you to be "out of status" if you do not fulfill all the conditions of your J-1 visa.

What are the consequences of being "out of status"?
If you are out of status, you lose the following privileges and benefits:

  • Eligibility for employment for on and off-campus work
  • Automatic visa revalidation for trips to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean islands except Cuba
  • Extension of program through the notification procedure
  • Transfer to or from another university in the US through the notification procedure
  • Change from one educational level to another through the notification procedure
  • Academic Training

If you fall out of status, you may have to depart the US and may not be able to complete your studies.

How do I get back in status?
Students who have fallen "out of status" must consult with an OIP advisor about their situation. Please schedule an appointment to discuss your case.

When does my J-1 status end?
Your J-1 status ends either on the date listed in #3 on your DS-2019, or when you complete the last requirement for your program of study, whichever comes first. If you are considering withdrawing from your program or if you may be dropped from your program, please consult an OIP advisor as these actions have serious ramifications on your visa status.

How long can I stay in the U.S.?
You may stay in the US for 30 days after completion of your program. You may not work during those 30 days.

Contact Information for the Exchange Visitor Program
OIP is required by the Department of State to provide the contact information for the Exchange Visitor Program to our J-1 Exchange Visitors. They can be contacted via mail, e-mail, and telephone at the following:

United States Department of State
Office of Exchange Coordination and Designation
ECA/EC - SA-44, Room 734
301 4th Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20547
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (202) 203-5029