Skip to Content
Communications and the Arts
mcnulty hall

Frequently Asked Questions about Graduate Admissions

The following frequently asked questions refer to the College of Communication and the Arts' graduate programs of study. For information about programs outside of the College of Communication and the Arts, please consult with the University's Office of Graduate Affairs.

Graduate Studies currently offers two Master's-level programs, including Museum Professions and Communication. In addition, dual-degree options, including two accelerated B.A./M.A. programs and a dual M.A. degree with the School of Diplomacy and International Relations, are offered.

Apply Online Here

Begin or continue your online application.

Start Your Application »

Application Review Process

Can I request an application fee waiver?

Yes, an applicant may request an application fee waiver by completing and submitting the request form.

How long does it take to receive a decision?

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The Advisory Committee typically reviews applications within two to three weeks of receiving all materials.

Can I apply to start in the summer session?

No, applications are accepted for the Fall and Spring semesters only. Courses are offered during the summer sessions, but new students begin programs in either the Fall or Spring.

If I'm accepted, how much time do I have to respond to the admissions offer?

A student has four (4) weeks from the date of acceptance to reserve their place in an academic program. Securing enrollment is a two-step process that involves the completion of an online Intent to Enroll form and the submission of a non-refundable tuition deposit. Instructions for completing both steps are included in an applicant's acceptance package.

I was denied admission to the program. Can you tell me why?

Unfortunately, the Advisory Committee cannot provide additional details as to its decision regarding an application. Typically, a successful applicant's profile demonstrates their potential to study at the graduate-level and includes a grade point average of 3.0 or higher, GRE/MAT scores in the 50th percentile or higher, a well-written personal statement, and noteworthy letters of recommendation.

My plans changed. Can I defer my application or my acceptance?

Applicants and accepted students may defer their application/acceptance for up to a maximum of one (1) academic year. Following this period, the student will need to complete and submit a new application for admission. Please note, any scholarship offers are not transferable to future semesters.


What are your application deadlines?

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis for the Fall and Spring semesters and completed entirely online.  For priority review - including consideration for available Dean's Graduate Scholarships - applicants should submit complete applications and all supporting materials by May 1 (Fall semester) and November 1 (Spring semester). Extensions to the Priority Deadlines sometimes occur and these updates are communicated via email. Applications for the Fall are due no later than August 1 and December 1 for the Spring.

Please note, the fall semester begins in late-August and the Spring semester begins in early-January. Consequently, applications are not considered after August 1 or December 1 for the Fall and Spring semesters, respectively.

Do I need to submit my application and additional materials at the same time?

Applicants are welcome to submit their online application and supplementary materials at separate times.  As each item is received, it is added to an applicant's file.

Test Requirements

Can I request a waiver for the required test scores?

An applicant may request a waiver for the GRE/MAT test requirement if one of the following two conditions is met: (1) overall undergraduate grade point average is 3.4 (on a 4-point scale) or higher; or (2) applicant has completed a master's level degree from an accredited institution and achieved a 3.0 (on a 4-point scale) or higher.

To be considered for a waiver, please send a written request via email to Ms. Brittany Scoles. The transcript(s) included with an applicant's application will be considered as part of the waiver process. Students granted a waiver will receive written confirmation.

What is Seton Hall's ETS institutional code for score reports?

When requesting materials be sent to Seton Hall, please reference 2811 as the institutional code.

What GRE score does the Advisory Committee look for?

A comprehensive review of an applicant's complete application and all supporting materials is completed by the Advisory Committee. Ideally, scores place an applicant in the 50th percentile or higher across the sections. Generally a minimum 4.0 writing score on the GRE is required. For more information on the GRE, please click here.

I am nervous my scores won't be in the 50th percentile. Should I still apply?

Yes, the Admissions Committee reviews graduate applicants with a holistic approach and will consider all application materials when reviewing for admissions to a graduate program. 

Am I eligible to take the GRE exam at home?

The option to take the GRE exam at home is available to those who meet specific requirements, listed here. 

Do you accept test scores other than the GRE?

Yes, we accept the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) in addition to the Graduate Record Exam. 

What is the MAT?

The Miller Analogies Test (MAT) evaluates the analytical thinking of prospective graduate students.we accept the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) in addition to the Graduate Record Exam. You can learn more about the MAT by visiting the Pearson Resources website for details related to understanding the MAT basics, an MAT Study Guide, and information about how the MAT is scored. 

Where can I take the MAT?

You can find a testing center near you by visiting the Pearson Resources website.

Is the MAT the same as the GMAT?

No, the MAT (Miller Analogy Test) is different from the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test). We do not accept GMAT scores.


Do I need to submit an official transcript? 

Yes, an official transcript from each institution attended is required to be submitted. 

How do I submit an official transcript? 

We accept official transcripts via postal mail or as e-transcripts.  Please inquire with your institution to determine if it offers an official e-transcript.  If an official e-transcript is available, please request it be sent by the institution directly to [email protected].  Note: the Admissions Committee does not accept e-transcripts sent via email from applicants - the official transcript must be sent securely by your institution. 

If your institution only sends official transcripts via postal mail, please address it to: 

Seton Hall University 
Graduate Admissions 
400 South Orange Avenue 
South Orange, NJ  07079 

I graduated from Seton Hall.  Do I need to submit an official transcript? 

If you graduated from Seton Hall, your transcript should be on file and it will be retrieved internally.  If, however, it cannot be retrieved for any reason, an applicant will be contacted and instructed to request an official copy from the Office of the Registrar. 

What GPA does the Advisory Committee look for? 

A comprehensive review of an applicant's complete application and all supporting materials is completed by the Advisory Committee.  The average applicant's cumulative GPA is a 3.0 or higher; with a higher GPA in a student's major. 

Do you accept transfer graduate credit? 

Applicants may request up to six credits be transferred to a graduate program.  For a master's program, credits can only be considered if they haven't been applied to a previously earned degree program.  All requests for advance standing must be accompanied by: (1) an official transcript as part of the application process and (2) a course description from the prior university's course catalogue.  Once both are received, each course will be evaluated for curriculum applicability and written confirmation of accepted transfer credits will be sent. 

Letters of Recommendation 

How many letters of recommendation are required? 

Only two letters of recommendation are required from all applicants. If you recently submitted your application and are awaiting a third letter of recommendation, no action is required on your behalf and our team will review your application once two letters are received.  

Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation for me? 

It is advised that letters of recommendation come from academic professionals, faculty, former or current supervisors, internship supervisors or mentors that can speak to your abilities, competencies and character. 

Personal Statement 

Do you have any advice for writing a personal statement? 

Yes!  Applicants are strongly encouraged to review our Personal Statement Suggestions and Tips.

Additionally, if an applicant applies to our Dual M.A. Communication and M.A. Diplomacy and International Relations program, please note that successful applicants ensure that all required supplemental application materials (e.g. personal statement, resume, and letters of recommendation) appropriately reference the candidate's interest in both programs. 

Scholarships and Financial Aid 

What scholarships are available? 

For information, please review the  Scholarships section of the Graduate Studies microsite. 

How do I know if I qualify for a Dean’s Graduate Scholarship? 

Students will be notified via email and postal mail if they qualify for a Dean’s Graduate Scholarship. 

If I qualify, what is the amount awarded for the Dean’s Graduate Scholarship? 

Dean’s Graduate Scholarships awards vary depending on the academic profile of the student. Typically, the amount awarded will offset the cost of one graduate-level course.  

How do I apply for a Graduate Assistantship? 

Admitted and deposited students are encouraged to apply for a Graduate Assistantship. For more details, click here for the most recent job posting.

Can I submit a FAFSA to see if I qualify for Financial Aid? 

Yes, to be considered for the full range of financial aid available, students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA),which is available as early as October. Seton Hall must be indicated as a recipient of the FAFSA to be considered for financial aid packages. Seton Hall's school code is 002632. 

Students interested in learning more about financial aid should visit the Office of Financial Aid online, in-person in Bayley Hall, or by phone at (800) 222-7183. 

International Applicants 

Do I need to submit GRE/MAT and a TOEFL or IELTS score? 

The graduate admissions process requires all students to submit a GRE or MAT test score. If English is not an applicant's first language, please arrange to have official TOEFL or IELTS scores sent directly to Seton Hall University.  The institution code for Seton Hall University is 2811

English is my first language; do I need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score? 

No, if English is your first language, a TOEFL exam score is not required. 

Can I take the at-home TOEFL exam? 

International students in need of a language proficiency exam such as the TOEFL or IELTS, can take and submit the at-home testing option in several countries. Learn if you qualify via ETS. 

Where can I find an accredited transcript evaluation agency? 

Approved transcript evaluation agencies include: 

We also recommend students use the resource to find additional accredited transcript evaluation agencies. 

How do I apply for a student visa? 

The Office of International Programs (OIP) at Seton Hall University will work closely with you to answer all your questions about student visas. You can visit their website and contact them here: Office of International Programs (OIP). 

Next Steps for Accepted Students

I was just accepted into a graduate program within the College of Communication and the Arts, what should I do next? 

Welcome to Graduate Studies within the College of Communication and the Arts at Seton Hall University! We are thrilled that you are joining Graduate Studies, a vibrant community of theorists, scholars, artists, and practitioners.  

Feel free to visit our  Admitted Student page to find important next step information. 

When is Orientation?

Orientation is held in advance of the Fall and Spring semesters, that is, typically in August and early January.  Accepted students are expected to attend and will be extended an invitation via email.  Prior to attending Orientation, please review the Next Steps for Admitted Students for additional information.

Is on-campus housing available for graduate students?

Currently, Seton Hall does not guarantee on-campus housing for graduate students.  However, please check with Housing and Residence Life regarding opportunities for graduate students.  In addition, many students live in South Orange or surrounding areas such as Maplewood, Millburn, Montclair or West Orange.

How do I register for my first class? 

Students within our graduate degree programs are assigned a professional academic adviser to assist in course registration preparation. Feel free to contact Ms. Brittany Scoles to schedule your first Academic Advisement appointment.

I have a question not listed on this page.

For all other graduate admissions-related questions, please contact Ms. Brittany Scoles by email or phone at (973) 761-9490.