Appointment of Katia Passerini, Ph.D., as Interim President
Message from Hank D’Alessandro '85, Chair, Board of Regents to the Seton Hall Community:
“Dear Members of the Seton Hall Community,
I am pleased to announce the Board of Regents’ unanimous appointment of Katia Passerini, Ph.D., as Interim President of Seton Hall, effective immediately.
Interim President Passerini has served as Provost and Executive Vice President since June 2020. Arriving during the height of the pandemic, she played a key role in instituting the HyFlex teaching modality that enabled the University to achieve a safe and healthy in-person academic year in 2020-21.
She was an influential voice in the development of Harvest Our Treasures. Under her leadership, Academic Affairs has made substantial progress over the last three years in achieving the plan’s goals. Advancing a strategic focus on research and academic innovation, Interim President Passerini’s accomplishments include:
- supporting the development of a host of new undergraduate and graduate programs;
- planning and implementing Seeds of Innovation, which rebalances administrative and instructional expenses in favor of instruction;
- hiring more than 60 full-time faculty members over the past two years;
- facilitating the growth of faculty grant applications by nearly 60 percent since 2020-21 and grant receipts by 146 percent over the same period;
- institutionalizing the Academies initiative to foster innovative cross-disciplinary research;
- increasing focus and funding for international programs; and
- reorganizing the Division of Continuing and Professional Studies.
These achievements are the latest in a career that is notable for the Interim President’s success at every level of higher education. A noted leader in Catholic higher education, she was elected to the Administrative Board for the International Federation of Catholic Universities in 2022. In this role, she represents all of North America in what has been called the United Nations of Catholic higher education.
Highly motived by Seton Hall’s Catholic mission, she was by far the strongest candidate for Provost three years ago and a natural choice for this new role.
In the coming year, the Interim President will bring Harvest Our Treasures to a successful conclusion; celebrate our accomplishments; advance initiatives that remain in progress; and ensure the University is prepared for Middle States reaccreditation next spring.
Seton Hall is fortunate to have Interim President Passerini at the helm as we recruit our next President through a national search that already has been authorized by the Board of Regents. Information about the appointment of an Interim Provost and Executive Vice President will be forthcoming.
On behalf of the Board, I welcome Interim President Passerini to her new role with gratitude for her willingness to serve the University. Please join me in extending our appreciation to her and enthusiasm for what will be an outstanding year at Seton Hall.”