Seton Hall University
President's Hall Office of the Provost


What should an employee do if she has a legal question or issue in connection with her University work?
All employees are encouraged to bring legal questions and issues to the attention of their supervisors at the earliest possible time.   Ordinarily, supervisors should consult with the vice president of their area before referring a legal matter to the office of general counsel.

Who is authorized to sign contracts and other legal documents for the University?
Only University officers designated by the Board of Regents may sign contracts, leases and other legally binding and significant documents on behalf of the University.   Communications from attorneys should be referred to the office of general counsel.

Does the Office of General Counsel provide employees with personal legal services?
No, the office provides legal services and advice to University employees only in connection with University business.  It does not provide legal services to any employees for any personal matters.  University employees can contact the state and various county bar association lawyer referral services for personal assistance.