The second annual statewide cybersecurity conference, held virtually on October 15, 2021, connected students and university faculty and administrators with cybersecurity business leaders. Open to New Jersey's higher education communities and cybersecurity industries, the free conference raised awareness of cybersecurity career opportuniries and conveyed the appeal of cybersecurity careers to students and other attendees.
"We are witnessing an explosion of highly-paid jobs and new career paths in cybersecurity. Average salaries begin at more than $72,000 and can exceed $200,000 in this often overlooked industry," said Susan Scherreik, Director of the Center of Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the Stillman School of Business at Seton Hall. "There are not enough candidates to fill this growing field with jobs available to students in a wide range of academic disciplines. In New Jersey alone there are more than 11,000 cybersecurity positions available and more than 450,000 open nationwide."
Conference highlights include a keynote address by Gurdeep Kaur, Chief Information Security Officer, PSEG; Brian Bridges, Secretary of Higher Education, NJ Office of the Secretary of Higher Education; Katia Passerini, Provost, Seton Hall University. Speakers included Michael Geraghty, the State of New Jersey's Chief Information Security Officer and Director of the NJ Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Cell (NJCCIC). The conference also featured cybersecurity experts from: Seton Hall University, Rutgers University, Stevens Institute of Technology, St. Peter’s University, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, New Jersey Economic Development Authority, Edge, Cybereason, SHI International and iQ4.
Training the Next Generation of Cybersecurity Researchers
- Shajina Anand (Speaker) Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Seton Hall University
- Santosh Nagarakatte (Speaker) Associate Professor and Undergraduate Program Director of Computer Science, Rutgers University
- Susanne Wetzel (Moderator) Professor, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Edward Moskal (Speaker) Associate Professor and Founding Director - M.S. Cyber Security Program, Saint Peter's University
- Christie Nelson (Speaker) Assistant Research Professor, Rutgers University
The Cybersecurity Job Market: Cybersecurity Employers Speak About the Array of Jobs Available and the Qualities They Seek in New Hires
- Maggie MacAlpine (Moderator) Chief of Staff, Cybereason
- Sam Curry (Speaker) Chief Security Officer, Cybereason
- Frank Cicio (Speaker) Founder, iQ4
Keeping New Jersey Safe from Cybersecurity Threats
- Cecile Coronato (Moderator) Project Officer, Sector Development, New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA)
- Mike Geraghty (Speaker) Chief Information Security Officer, State of New Jersey
- Christopher Rein (Speaker) Chief Technology Officer, State of New Jersey
- Enrique Bryan (Speaker) Assistant Bureau Chief, High Tech Crime Bureau, NJ State Police
Diversity Employment in Cybersecurity: Opportunities for Women and Minorities
- Kerissa Varma (Speaker) Chief Information Security Officer, Old Mutual Insurance
- Denise Verdicchio (Speaker) Sr. Vice President Public Sector Sales, SHI International Corp
- Alberto Carranza (Speaker) Computer Scientist, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Susan Scherreik (Moderator) Director, Center of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Seton Hall University
- Mandy Galante (Speaker) Cyber Security Training Specialist, New Jersey Cybersecurity & Communications Integration Cell
Day In A Life: What’s it like to work in cybersecurity?
- Kevin McKenzie (Speaker) Cyber Security Analyst, NJ Office of Homeland Security & Preparedness
- Jennifer Lloyd (Speaker) Cyber Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army
- Nathanael Boatswain (Speaker) Cyber Risk Advisory Senior Consultant, Deloitte
- Joyce Strawser (Speaker) Dean of the Stillman School of Business, Seton Hall University
- Teresitia Walters (Moderator) Assistant Director, Career Center, Seton Hall University
- Robert Franco (Moderator) Associate/Senior Assistant Director - Career Center and Adjunct Professor - Strategic Communications, Seton Hall University
- Masood Mohayya (Speaker) IT Support Analyst, Take-Two Interactive
- Splunk Workshop - Sponsored by Splunk
- Computational Data Privacy Workshop - Sponsored by LeapYear Technologies
- Python Workshop - Sponsored BY NJEDA
Interested in a Cybersecurity Professional Certificate?
IT Security Fundamentals – January 4 - 15, 2022
Taught by Eric Lopez, M.A.E., Seton Hall’s security architect and lead security analyst, as well as an adjunct professor, this course provides an overview of the foundational concepts of cybersecurity, threats that are commonly impacting organizations today, and an understanding of how to create security policies that help organizations improve their security posture. This course is a prerequisite for Network+ and Security+.
Live, online, synchronous program schedule:
Tuesday and Thursday, 1/4 and 1/6: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday, 1/11 and 1/13: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Saturdays, 1/8 and 1/15: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Tuition - $999
Early Bird Rate ends November 30!
Enter Code ITEarlyBird to receive a 20% discount!
Categories: Science and Technology