"When two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers."
I joined Seton Hall in the Fall of 2023. My task is to help build out the specialization in Homeland Security at the grad and undergrad level.
My research is focused on emergent technology, cyber security, popular culture and soft power, race and ethnicity politics, and international conflict.
Our 2018 book is Cyber Strategy, now available on paperback from Amazon and OUP.
I serve as the Area Editor for International Relations and Strategy for the Journal of Cybersecurity and a General Editor for the Oxford University Press Book Series on Disruptive Technology and International Security. I also serve as a Senior Fellow for the Cyberspace Solarium 2.0.
- Vanderbilt University
- Jensen, Benjamin M., Henrik Breitnach, and Brandon Valeriano. Editors. Complex Terrain: Megacities and the Changing Character of Urban Operations. Marine Corps University Press, ISBN 9780160954344
(Full PDF through link at MCU.edu)
- Valeriano, Brandon, Benjamin Jensen, and Ryan C. Maness. 2018. Cyber Strategy: The Evolving Character of Cyber Power and Coercion , Oxford University Press, ISBN 978-0190618094
(Paperback March 2020)
*2019 Choice “Outstanding Academic Title”
- Valeriano, Brandon and Ryan C. Maness. 2015. Cyber War versus Cyber Realities: Cyber Conflict in the International System, Oxford University Press, ISBN 978-0190204792, 280 Pages
Online access: Oxford Academic
- Maness, Ryan C. and Brandon Valeriano. 2015. Russia’s Coercive Diplomacy – Energy, Cyber and Maritime Policy as New Sources of
Power Palgrave, ISBN 978-1137479433, 256 Pages
Online access: Springer Link
Journal of Peace Research (onlinefirst)
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Valeriano, Brandon. 2022. “The Need for Cyber Security Data and Metrics: Empirically Assessing Cyber Threat” Journal of Cyber Policy. Forthcoming
- Maness, Ryan C., Brandon Valeriano, Benjamin Jensen, Kathryn Hedgecock, and Jose Macias.
2023. Expanding the Dyadic Cyber Incident and Dispute (DCID) Dataset: Cyber Conflict, Cyber Defense Review. Forthcoming.
SSRN Early Version
Havard Dataverse Cyber Data DCID 2.0
- Valeriano, Brandon. 2022. The Failure of the Offense/Defense in Cyber Security, Cyber Defense Review. 7(3): 91-101.
- Valeriano, Brandon and Benjamin Jensen. 2021. “Building a National Cyber Strategy: The Process and Implications of Developing the Cyberspace Solarium Commission Report,” IEEE Proceedings for CCDCOE CyberCon, 13th International Conference on Cyber Conflict. Pgs. 189-214.
- Jensen, Benjamin, Brandon Valeriano and Ryan Maness. 2019. “Fancy Bears and Digital Trolls: Cyber Strategy with a Russian Twist,” Journal of Strategic Studies, 42(2): 212-234
- Valeriano, Brandon and Ryan Maness. 2018. “How We Stopped Worrying About Cyber Doom and Started Collecting Data.” Politics and Governance. 6(2):
- Whyte, Christopher, Brandon Valeriano, Benjamin Jensen, and Ryan Maness. 2018. “Rethinking
the Data Wheel: Automating Open-Access, Public Data on Cyber Conflict.” IEEE Proceedings
for CCDCOE CyberCon, 10th International Conference on Cyber Conflict.
IEEE Conference link
- Craig, Antony and Brandon Valeriano. 2016 “Conceptualizing Cyber Arms Races.” IEEE Proceedings for CCDCOE CyberCon, 8th International Conference on Cyber Conflict: Cyber Power. Pgs. 141-158. (PDF Open Access)
- Craig Antony and Brandon Valeriano. 2016 “Perceptions versus Reality of Cyber Threats: Reactions to Fears in the Digital Realm” Global Security and Intelligence Studies (PDF Open Access)
- Valeriano, Brandon and Phillip Habel. 2016. “Who Are the Enemies?: The Visual Framing of Enemies in Digital Games” International Studies Review (PDF Open Access)
- Ryan Maness and Brandon Valeriano. 2016 “The Impact of Cyber Conflict on International Interactions” Armed Forces & Society. 42: 2: 301-323 (PDF Open Access)
- 2019 Choice “Outstanding Academic Title