As an associate professor of biological sciences at Seton Hall University my focus is conducting quality, novel research while effectively training and educating students. For the past 10 years, my research has focused on understanding the mechanisms guiding the early stages of bone metabolism. My current research goals focus on investigating important aspects of bone healing, cartilage repair, and associated diseases. As a researcher, I enjoy training both undergraduate and graduate students in the principles of molecular biology and physiology, as well as lab methodology and applications. As a educator, I incorporate scientific experiences into my classroom to illustrate the importance of lecture material to solving current scientific and biomedical problems.
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
• Hernandez A*, Rahman O*, Kadkoy Y*, Lauritsem KL*, Sanchez A*, Innella K*, Lin A*, Lopez A*, O’Connor JP, Benevenia J, Paglia DN, Lin SS, Cottrell J, 2021. "Effect of Vancomycin Applied to the Surgical Site on Fracture Healing in a Diabetic Rat Model," Foot & Ankle International. J. Leonard Goldner Award Winner, 44:3:
• Innella K*, Levidy MF*, Kadkoy Y*, Lin A*, Selles M*, Sanchez A*, Weiner A*, Greendyk J*, Moriarty B*, Lauritsen K*, Lopez J*, Teitelbaum M*, Fisher M*, Mendiratta M*, Ahn DB*, Ippolitto J*, Paglia DN, Cottrell J, O'Connor JP, Benevenia J, Lin SS. 2022. "Local Zinc Treatment Enhances Fracture Callus Properties in Diabetic Rats," JOR, 1-11,
• Visconti RJ and Cottrell JA. 2021. "A Functional Three-Dimensional Microphysiological Model of Myeloma Bone Disease," JBMR, 36:10:1914-1930.
• Abraham S, Vives M, Cottrell JA, Mitchell A, Lin H*, Iqbal E*, Jingar N*, Kim B*, Shah N, Munoz W*, Chaudhary SB, Lin SS, Benevenia J, O’Connor JP. 2021. "Local Insulin Application has a Dose-Dependent Effect on Lumbar Fusion in a Rabbit Model," Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine. 15:5:442-452.
• Hozain S, *Hernandez A, *Fuller J, *Sharp G, and Cottrell JA. 2021. "Zinc Chloride affects Chondrogenesis via VEGF Signaling," Experimental Cell Research: Feb 15: 399 (2): 112426.
• Hozain S and Cottrell JA. 2020. CDllb+ Targeted Depletion of Macrophages Negatively affects Bone Fracture. Bone. 138.
• McCauley, Bistaksis C, and Cottrell JA. 2020. Macrophage Subtypes and Cytokine Expression Characterization during the Acute Inflammatory Phase of Fracture Healing. Journal of Orthopedic Research. 1-10.
• O’Connor JP, *Kanjilal D, *Teitelbaum M, Lin S.S., Cottrell JA. 2020. Zinc as a Therapeutic Agent in Bone Regeneration. Materials: 13: 2211: 1-22.
• Nichols DB, *De Martini W, Cottrell JA. 2017. Poxviruses Utilize Multiple Strategies to Inhibit Apoptosis. Viruses. 9:8:215.
• Burgess D, *Iversen T, and Cottrell JA. 2018. Zinc Chloride Treatment Induces ATDC5 cells Induces Chondrocyte Maturation. International Journal of Regenerative Medicine 1(2): 1-11.
- SHU-College of Arts & Science Researcher of the Year, 2022 & 2019
- J. Leonard Goldner Award, American Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Society, 2021
- Opportunity Meets Innovation Challenge Grant program, 2021
- SHU-University Research Council Award, 2021, 2018, 2016
- SHU-Undergraduate Research Support Program, 2021, 2019
- AAC&U PKAL STEM Leadership Institute Leader, 2021
- SHU-College of Arts & Science Teacher of the Year, 2020
- American Association of Immunologist Faculty Travel Award, 2020-17
- American Association of Immunologist Undergraduate Faculty-Student Award, 2019-2017
- SHU University Teaching Fellow, 2018-2017
- SHU-Student Assessment Grant, 2016