I have been teaching creative writing and literature courses in the Department of English at Seton Hall University since 2008. Before arriving at Seton Hall, I earned my Ph.D. from the University of Missouri in English and Creative Writing and my M.A. in Fiction Writing from the Writing Seminars at The Johns Hopkins University. In addition to teaching, I am the Director of Creative Writing for the Creative Writing major, and the Director of the Poetry-in-the-Round reading series.
Alongside my teaching, I am a fiction writer. My debut novel, A Flaw in the Design, was published by Random House in 2023 and my collection of short stories, The Empty House, won the 2012 Spokane Prize. My short stories have been published in many magazines, including the Antioch Review, The Missouri Review, Witness and my work has been included in the anthologies, Best American Mystery Stories 2008, Best American Mystery Stories 2012, and Forty Stories.
- Ph.D., University of Missouri
- M.A., The Johns Hopkins University
- B.A., The University of Virginia
"A Flaw in the Design." New York: Random House, 2023.
- UK/Commonwealth Edition by Serpent’s Tail
- Japanese Edition by Hayakawa Publishing
- Polish Edition by Agora
- Spanish Edition by Editora Planeta
- Hebrew Edition by Penn Publishing
- Romanian Edition by Nemira Editura SRL
- Film Rights Optioned: Carnival Films UK
"The Empty House: Stories." Spokane: Willow Springs Editions & Lost Horse Press, 2014.
Recent Journal Publications:
- "The Dead Writers Reading Series." The Missouri Review, 40.4, 2018, 36-54.
- "Mixed Income." West Branch, 84, 2017, 42-49.
- "The Empty House." The Antioch Review. 75th Anniversary Issue. 74.4/75.1 (2017): 1085-1101. Print.
- "The Key Park." Crazyhorse, 91, 2017, 51-60.
- "Natural Succession." Barrelhouse, 10, 2015, 8-14.
- "The White Chickens." Copper Nickel. 20, 2015, 15-29.
- The Dead Forest." The Rupture, 57, 2014.
- "The Empty House", Willow Springs Editions, 2014
- "Mile Point Road." The Missouri Review, 36. 2, 2013, 10-28.
- "The Empty House", The Antioch Review, 65(4), October 2007
- Special Mention, 2017 Pushcart Prize Anthology, "Natural Succession"
- Walter E Dakin Fellowship, Sewanee Writers’ Conference, Summer 2016
- Spokane Prize, Willow Springs Books, 2012
- Selected for Inclusion in Best American Mystery Stories 2012
- Special Mention in the Pushcart Prize Anthology for "The Empty House" 2009
- Selected for inclusion in Best American Mystery Stories 2009, "The Empty House" 2009
- Finalist for the Iowa Short Fiction Award 2007
- Finalist for the Saint Lawrence Book Award 2007
- Border's Fellowship, The New York State Summer Writer's Institute 2005