I have worked in physical therapy education for 23 years and joined the Seton Hall University faculty in 2016. Prior to beginning my work at Seton Hall, I served as the Director of Clinical Education for Columbia University's Doctor of Physical Therapy Program (1997-2015). My primary areas of teaching are psychosocial and ethical issues in healthcare; management and regulatory issues; prevention, health promotion and wellness; and professional development and practice. In addition to my background in physical therapy, I also hold a master’s degree in counseling psychology with a specialization in rehabilitation counseling.
My clinical experience includes acute care, subacute and outpatient rehabilitation. I am a consultant and expert witness in physical therapy liability and malpractice and use this experience to help students and clinicians increase awareness of the risk management issues inherent in contemporary rehabilitation practice. I am the chair of the Physical Therapy Department’s Simulation Committee and currently engaged in research exploring the use of standardized patients to facilitate development of communication skills necessary to effectively manage the psychosocial issues that arise in physical therapy practice. Other research interests include teaching clinical practice guidelines using standardized patients, health risk assessment of community dwelling older adults, community-based and international service-learning, and developing disability awareness curricula for primary and secondary education.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, Massachusetts General Institute of Health Professions
- Bachelor of Arts, Physical Therapy, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- Master of Arts, Counseling Psychology - Specialization: Rehabilitation Counseling, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, State University of New York at Binghamton
- Hubler R., Kolodny R.B. Applications of the Neck Pain Clinical Practice Guidelines Revision 2017: Using Standardized Patients to Translate Knowledge to Action. Poster Presentation. New Jersey American Physical Therapy Association Spring Conference. Online Format. April 25, 2020.
- Gulfo KM, Gillen G, Bishop L, Bassile CC, Kolodny RB, Stein J. Selection of Post-Acute Care for Stroke Patients. The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy. 2018; Vol. 6: Issue 1.
- Wong CK, Kolodny RB, Abbruzzese L, Hagan L. Premise Reflection During the Final Physical Therapy Clinical Internship After a Course on Reflective Case Management. American Physical Therapy Association Educational Leadership Conference, Baltimore, MD, Oct 2-4, 2015.
- Kolodny RB, McCoy CK, Chan D, Harrigan MJ, Young AE. Interventions for Improving Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy. 2014; 37:Supp:E51.
- Alpha Eta National Honor Society, Seton Hall Chapter, 2017
- Sharing the Dream Guatemala: Coordinated and led service learning trip to Guatemala with five Doctor of Physical Therapy Students, August 2014