Systematic theology is a discipline of theology that formulates an orderly, rational, and coherent account of the doctrines of the Christian faith. It engages topics in revelation and the response of faith, the transmission and interpretation of revelation in the Church, the relationship of faith and reason, the challenge of religious pluralism, the relationship between faith and culture, and the relationship between faith and the natural sciences. Systematic theology includes the subdisciplines of Christology, Soteriology, Trinitarian Theology, Pneumatology, Mariology, Ecclesiology, Sacramental Theology, Ecumenism, Interreligious Dialogue, Theological Anthropology, Protology, Grace, Theological Virtues, and Eschatology. It draws from Divine Revelation in Scripture and Tradition so that its relation to the development of doctrine and dogmatic statements may be evident through the Magisterium, the Councils of the Church, patristic theology, history, spirituality, and the witness of the saints. The Creeds, Sacred Liturgy, Christian morality, and the prayers of the Church are given special attention as living expressions of the faith.
Reverend Roberto Ortiz, S.T.L., S.T.D. (Cand.)
Full-time faculty and areas of specialization
Reverend Joseph R. Laracy, S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: Fundamental Theology; Theology of Creation / Protology; Theology & Science; Pastoral Logotherapy; Thomism
Reverend Monsignor Gerard H. McCarren, S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: Priesthood; St. John Henry Newman; Systematic Theology; Liturgy; Sacraments
Adjunct faculty and areas of specialization
Reverend Peter H. Cho, Ph.D., S.T.L., S.T.D. (Cand.)
Areas of specialization: Anthropology; Ecclesiology; Grace; Priesthood
Reverend Thomas A. Dente, M.Div., M.A.
Areas of specialization: Liturgical and Sacramental Theology
Reverend Monsignor John N. Fell, S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: Biomedical Ethics
Reverend Stephen J. Fichter, Ph.D.
Areas of specialization: The Evolution of the Priesthood since Vatican II; Church Leadership in the United States
Reverend Daniel E. Kirk, S.T.L.
Areas of specialization: Spiritual Theology
Reverend Roberto Ortiz, S.T.L., S.T.D. (Cand.)
Areas of specialization: Systematic Theology; Christian Anthropology; Christology
Reverend Monsignor John A. Radano, Ph.D.
Areas of specialization: Ecumenical Studies
Reverend Pedro Repollet, M.A.
Areas of specialization: Spirituality of the Old Testament; Homiletics
Reverend Juan Rojas, M.Div., M.A.
Areas of specialization: Ecclesiology
Anthony C. Sciglitano, Ph.D.
Areas of specialization: Theological Hermeneutics; Theology, Religion, and Secularism; Theology of Religions; Fundamental Religion
Stella F. Wilkins, M.A., M.L.S.
Areas of specialization: Graduate Research Seminar; Church History; Library Science
Faculty emeriti and areas of specialization
Reverend Monsignor Thomas G. Guarino, K.H.S., S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: Systematic Theology; Revelation and Faith; the Trinity; Theological Methodology; Philosophical Theology
Reverend Lawrence B. Porter, K.H.S., Ph.D.
Areas of specialization: Christology; Ecclesiology; Priesthood; Systematic Theology
- STHO 6020: Research Seminar
- STHO 6022: Graduate Research Seminar
- STHO 6112 (CETH 6112): Moral Evil and Moral Absolutes
- STHO 6126 (CETH 6126): Ethics of Virtue
- STHO 6136 (PTHO 6136): Great Spiritual Biographies
- STHO 6138 (CETH 6138): Theological Aesthetics: God, Beauty and Film
- STHO 6194 (PTHO 6194): Theology of the Permanent Diaconate
- STHO 6199 (PTHO 6199): Psychology for Theologians
- STHO 6202: Revelation and Faith
- STHO 6203: Christology
- STHO 6204: Trinity
- STHO 6205: Christian Anthropology
- STHO 6207: Ecclesiology
- STHO 6244 (PTHO 6244): Prayer, Discipleship and Community
- STHO 6246: Theology of Vatican II
- STHO 6252 (CETH 6252): Theology of the Body
- STHO 6254 (CETH 6254): Theology and Spirituality of Marriage and the Family
- STHO 6256 (CETH 6227): St. John Paul II and Sexual Ethics
- STHO 6259: Secularism and Catholicism
- STHO 6268 (HSTD 6268): History of Vatican II
- STHO 6270: Controversial Teachings of Vatican II
- STHO 6299 (PTHO 6299): Tools for Effective Ministry
- STHO 6316 (CETH 6316): Social Teachings of St. John Paul II
- STHO 6332 (PTHO 6332): New Evangelization and Catechesis
- STHO 6333 (PTHO 6333): Evangelizing Church
- STHO 6334 (HSTD 6334/PTHO 6334): Catholic Evangelization
- STHO 6345 (PTHO 6345): Vatican II & the New Evangelization
- STHO 6399 (BIBL 6399): Scripture & Forgiveness
- STHO 6403 (PTHO 6403): Sacramental Life: Canonical Issues
- STHO 6409 (PTHO 6409): Sacraments of Initiation & Canon Law
- STHO 6416 (HSTD 6416): Confessions of Saint Augustine
- STHO 6426 (HSTD 6426): Priesthood in the Fathers
- STHO 6430 (HSTD 6430): Worshipping with the Fathers of the Church
- STHO 6447 (PTHO 6447): Catholic Apologetics
- STHO 6501: Worship of the Church
- STHO 6503: Sacraments of Initiation
- STHO 6504: Sacramental Theology – General
- STHO 6505: Eucharist
- STHO 6506 (PTHO 6516): Eucharist and the Family
- STHO 6507 (CETH 6507): Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick
- STHO 6509 (CETH 6509): Christian Marriage
- STHO 6531 (BIBL 6410): Catholic Epistles-Hebrews
- STHO 6533 (BIBL 6529): Spirituality of the Old Testament
- STHO 6550 (BIBL 6506): Theology of Paul and John
- STHO 6570 (BIBL 6570): Mary in Sacred Scripture
- STHO 6572 (PTHO 6572): Ecumenical Dialogue and Mary
- STHO 6575 (PTHO 6575): Ministry of the Laity
- STHO 6576 (PTHO 6705): Marian Spirituality
- STHO 6577: Mariology
- STHO 6585: (CAST 3003/CORE 3983/THEO 3585) Creation and Science
- STHO 6587: (PTHO 6587) Psychology of Religion
- STHO 6588: (PTHO 6588) Christianity and Human Happiness
- STHO 6728: (PTHO 6728) Theology of the Spiritual Life
- STHO 6740: Priesthood and Ministry
- STHO 6774: (PTHO 6774) Theology and Practice of Prayer
- STHO 6888: M.A. Seminar: Deacons and Christian Worship
- STHO 6999: M.A. Seminar