The Sports Media Concentration in the Visual and Sound Media program allows students to develop their abilities in media production and analysis while also taking specialty classes focusing on sports media. These classes cover topics like sports media policy and regulation, trends in sports media distribution and production processes, and the role of sports media in culture and society. In combining broad-based media production and theory courses with specialty classes highlighting subjects specific to sports media, students build a comprehensive base of knowledge and skills that will enable them to thrive in a complex, ever-changing sports media ecosystem.
All facilities are exclusively dedicated to student use as early as the first semester. Co-curricular activities like PirateTV and WSOU 89.5FM offer unparalleled experiential learning opportunities. Graduates pursue careers in the sports media industry in roles like commentator, director, editor and producer.
Learning Outcomes Include:
- Define the specific terminology and language used in the critical analysis of a film, television, new media and sound media.
- Identify the major figures, periods, and movements of film, television, new media history, and sound media.
- Identify major trends and approaches in the development of humanities-based media studies as a discipline.
- Develop a language to analyze diversity (i.e., race, class, gender, sex, nationality, disability, etc.) in film, television, new media, and sound media.
- Learn the various forms of research and writing in the humanities-based field of media studies.
- Demonstrate mastery of the aesthetic concepts of composition, editing, lighting, and audio through creative work.
- Demonstrate appropriate selection and competent execution of aesthetic forms and styles.
- Engage in critical analysis of their own and their peer's creative work.
- Students will complete (create) at least one advanced film, video, or sound media production project and demonstrate the ability to engage advanced original and individual production work following industry trends.
- Utilize organizational/leadership/management skills producing film, sound media, and video projects by leading a team toward a focused goal/outcome.