The Film (Digital Cinema) Production concentration in the Visual and Sound Media program learn how to express themselves and their ideas by writing, producing, directing, and editing original narrative films projects. Via classroom discussions and hands-on workshops, plus multiple on-set productions, students learn techniques of visual media production and all aspects of project management.
All facilities, including the television studio, radio station, editing and sound production labs are exclusively dedicated to student use and are available to students their first semester. Co-curricular activities like PirateTV and WSOU 89.5FM offer unparalleled experiential learning opportunities. Students are also highly encouraged to intern in the nearby New York City film industry. Graduates pursue careers as screenwriters, producers, directors, editors and many other industry-related employment opportunities.
Learning Outcomes Include:
- Define the specific terminology and language used in the critical analysis of a film, television, new media and sound media.
- Identify the major figures, periods, and movements of film, television, new media history, and sound media.
- Identify major trends and approaches in the development of humanities-based media studies as a discipline.
- Develop a language to analyze diversity (i.e., race, class, gender, sex, nationality, disability, etc.) in film, television, new media, and sound media.
- Learn the various forms of research and writing in the humanities-based field of media studies.
- Demonstrate mastery of the aesthetic concepts of composition, editing, lighting, and audio through creative work.
- Demonstrate appropriate selection and competent execution of aesthetic forms and styles.
- Engage in critical analysis of their own and their peer's creative work.
- Students will complete (create) at least one advanced film, video, or sound media production project and demonstrate the ability to engage advanced original and individual production work following industry trends.
- Utilize organizational/leadership/management skills producing film, sound media, and video projects by leading a team toward a focused goal/outcome.