The Sister Rose Thering Fund's 25th Annual Evening of Roses will take place Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 6 p.m. in Seton Hall's new welcome center, Bethany Hall. Learn more and register today »
Father Lawrence Frizzell (center) surrounded by students at the 2017 Evening of Roses
Students perform an original staging of "Brundibar" at the 2011 Evening of Roses.
Evening of Roses Programs and Honorees
- 2017: Honoring Father Lawrence Frizzell, Luna Kaufman, Pearl Randall Lehrhoff and Hattie Segal
- 2016: Honoring the memory of Women of Valor Sister Rose Thering and beloved Trustees Ellin Cohen and Mary Vazquez; retiring SRTF administrator Marilyn L. Zirl was also honored; featured speaker: writer activist Devorah Halberstam
- 2015: Humanitarians of the Year: Carolyn Dorfman, child of survivors and director of the Carolyn Dorfman Dance Company; Tom Dugan, actor/author of the off-Broadway production of "Wiesenthal"
- 2014: Honoring 30 of the Fund's founders
- 2013: Honoring Dr. Paul Winkler, executive director of the NJ Commission for Holocaust Education, plus musical program by Newark Boys Chorus.
- 2012: Remembering Raoul, a dramatic presentation honoring the late Raoul Wallenberg on his 100th birthday.
- 2011: New Jersey premier of the children's opera "Brundibar"
- 2010: Humanitarian of the Year: Joshua Bell; Featured Musician: Kevin Maynor, bass
- 2009: Humanitarians of the Year: Maud Dahme and Irena Sendler (posthumously); Featured Speaker: Senator Richard T. Codey
- 2008: Humanitarians of the Year: Pearl Randall Lehrhoff and Seymour Lehrhoff; Featured Speaker: Rabbi Matthew Gewirtz
- 2007: Sister Rose Thering Award for Exemplary Leadership: Monsignor Robert Sheeran; Featured Speaker: Hon. Brendan Byrne
- 2006: Humanitarians of the Year: Karan and Kenneth Oleckna and Toby and Lee Cooperman
- 2005: Premiere of Sister Rose's Passion; Humanitarians of the Year: Sylvia and David Steiner
- 2004: Honorary Doctorate: Dr. Eugene Fisher; Humanitarians of the year: Blu Greenberg and Dr. Aristides de Sousa Mendes do Amaral E Abranches (posthumously)
- 2003: Honorary Doctorates: Dr. Nechama Tec and Theodore Bikel; Humanitarians of the Year: David and Julia Altholz and Dr. David Bossman
- 2002: Honorary Doctorate: Sir Martin Gilbert; Humanitarians of the Year: Rev. John F. Morley and Dr. Marcia Robbins-Wilf
- 2001: Honorary Doctorate: Judith Banki; Humanitarians of the Year: Nicholas and Margaret Pogany and family and Anneke Burke-Kooistra
- 2000: Honorary Doctorate: Sister Rose Thering; Sister Rose Thering's 80th birthday and 60th anniversary as a religious Sister; Humanitarians of the Year: Archbishop Peter L. Gerety and Luna Kaufman
- 1999: Honorary Doctorate: Cynthia Ozick, Humanitarians of the Year: Rabbi Israel Singer and Christophe Meili
- 1998: Honorary Doctorate: Prof. Elie Wiesel; Humanitarians of the Year: Eva Fleischer and Murray Laulicht, Esq.
- 1997: Humanitarians of the Year: Rev. Edward F. Flannery and Abraham Foxman
- 1996: Play by Herb Shapiro, "A Journey through Sister Rose's Life"
- 1995: Sister Rose Thering's 75th birthday and reception in honor of Rabbi Jehiel and Sylvia Orenstein
- 1994: Musical Tribute by Theodore Bikel with Barry Farber as M.C.
- 1992: Sister Rose Thering's 72nd birthday and honors to Drs. Charles and Gloria Steiner
- 1990: Sister Rose Thering's 70th birthday