The Residence Hall Alcohol Policy serves as an addendum to the Student Code of Conduct and is written specifically for the residential population of Seton Hall University.
The Residence Hall Alcohol Policy applies to all Seton Hall University residents and their guests.
Personal Consumption Amount – 1 liter of hard liquor OR 1 liter of wine OR 1 6-pack of beer.
The state law of New Jersey allows possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages by those 21 years of age and over.
Only residents and their guests who are 21 years of age and over may legally possess and consume alcoholic beverages in alcohol designated living areas.
- Alcohol-designated areas are Cabrini Hall, Ora Manor, Turrell Manor, Serra Hall, Neumann Hall, and Xavier Hall.
- The possession and consumption of any alcoholic beverage by any person, regardless of age, is prohibited in Aquinas and Boland Halls.
Those under the age of 21 are not permitted to be in a room where alcohol is visible and/or being consumed unless they are the roommate of a person over the age of 21.
No person shall provide any alcoholic beverages to any person not of legal age for possession or consumption.
The consumption of alcohol is prohibited in all public areas including University housing lounge spaces, corridors, or other common spaces.
Any individual bringing alcohol into University housing must show appropriate identification (such as a driver’s license or state-issued ID), to the person working at the residence hall reception desk. The housing database will be checked to confirm the age of the SHU student bringing in the alcohol. The alcohol type, amount, student name, and room number is then logged in the alcohol log.
- In Cabrini, Ora, Neumann, Turrell, Serra, and Xavier Hall, alcohol may be transported by individuals 21 years of age or older, provided that all alcoholic beverages are in the original containers and remain unopened.
- No kegs or beer balls are permitted. Possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages is limited to personal consumption amount as defined above. SHU Students may only sign in one of the three types listed in the definition.
The purchase or sale of any alcohol is prohibited in ALL University housing. If a University official has reason to believe that alcohol is being transported in a non-designated area, or by an individual under 21 years of age, the University official has the right to check any packages, book bags, etc.
- All alcoholic beverages present during a violation of University or housing policy will be confiscated and disposed.
- Any violation relating to the possession or consumption of alcohol beverages in University housing will result in a judicial hearing with an appropriate adjudicating officer as per the University Code of Conduct.
- Students will be held responsible for their actions while they are under the influence of alcohol.
- Students hosting guests will be held responsible for their guests’ violation of any portion of this policy.
- Repeat violators may be given sanctions ranging from the reassignment to another hall, cancellation of the Housing License Agreement, or civil prosecution, as per the University Code of Conduct.
Dr. Tracy Gottlieb, Vice President for Student Services
March 22, 2017