Incoming F1 Students
Important Notice Regarding Visa Appointments for Fall 2022
Please check the visa appointment wait time for the U.S. Embassy location where you intend to apply for the F-1 visa. Many locations will not be able to offer appointments before the start of the fall 2022 semester (8/29/2022). If you believe that these delays may impact your ability to begin classes with U.S. this fall, you are advised to contact your admissions director to discuss your options, including deferral of your application.
Prospective undergraduate students may contact the Office of Admissions at email@example.com. Prospective graduate students may contact the appropriate Graduate Director for their desired program, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
I-20 Application Deadlines
Fall semester - July 30 / Spring semester - December 1
Canadian Students only need the I-20 form to enter the U.S., and do not need to apply for the F-1 visa. The last day we can issue I-20s for students outside of the U.S. is July 30th. Please submit your documents as soon as possible.
Transfer students outside of the U.S. and renewing their visa - The last day we can issue I-20s for students outside of the U.S. is July 30th.
Transfer students in the U.S. can receive an I-20 form up until the first day of class (8/29). Please submit your documents as soon as possible
How to Apply for F1 Visa Status
In order to apply for F-1 status, a student must obtain the form I-20, issued by the Office of International Programs. The form I-20 certifies to the U.S. embassy abroad that a student has been accepted to a SEVP-approved university and has provided enough finances to pay for the cost of their education and living expenses.
- Apply to a program at Seton Hall (Undergraduate & ESL, Graduate)
- Complete the I-20 Application while you wait for your acceptance to the program. I-20 Application for Spring 2023 coming soon. Upload the I-20 application and necessary documents to the secure web portal »
- Receive your I-20 Form - ESL students must submit a tuition deposit before receiving their I-20 form
- Schedule your F-1 Visa Appointment - You will need the I-20 information to schedule your F-1 visa appointment by completing Form DS-160 ($160) and paying the SEVIS I-901fee ($350). Check visa appointment wait times below.
- Arrive in the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the program start date on your I-20 Form.
Check Visa Appointment Wait Times - Due to COVID-19, some countries require several months wait time for visa appointment. Students may request emergency appointment, however it is not guaranteed.
International Student Experience
- Undergraduate Admissions
Explore the Undergraduate Admissions site for more information about applying to Seton Hall University to complete an undergraduate degree.
- English As a Second Language
As an international student you can enroll in Seton Hall University's English as a Second Language Program.
- Graduate Departments
Find information about applying to Seton Hall University to complete an graduate degree.
- Housing and Residence Life
Find information about housing options on-campus and general campus life information for Seton Hall University.
- Seton Hall Virtual Tour
Join our student tour guides on a walking tour of Seton Hall's campus, with videos of each location offered fully in 360-degrees.