What Great Minds Can Do: Edward Cuza
"After five years in the air force as a medic, I realized that I wanted to be a nurse. I chose Seton Hall because of its strong reputation and curriculum. I was able to start nursing courses my first semester and do my clinical placements at some of the top facilities in New Jersey. The professors here really inspire you and support you 100%. We learn from leaders and are inspired to be leaders ourselves."
Edward "Eddie" Cuza, Nursing Major
Metuchen, New Jersey
Eddie Cuza came to Seton Hall as a transfer student after serving as a medic in the Air Force, in Abu Dhabi. While he was deployed he said "staff and faculty went above and beyond to help him and this really set Seton Hall apart. They made me feel so blessed and welcome that I couldn't wait to come to the University just to personally thank them."
"The nursing professors at Seton Hall are just as passionate about their classes and students as they are about their patients," he says. "They are focused on building a concrete foundation for us through real-world experiences, whether they be in the Patient Simulation Laboratory on campus or in clinical settings in local hospitals."
Cuza and one of his classmates conducted important research and were accepted to speak at the AAMN (American Assembly for Men in Nursing) conference in Kentucky. "I don't think either of us understood the importance of the situation. Dean [Phyllis] Hansel immediately gave us access to her resources and supported our endeavors, even flying out to watch our presentation. We were the only student presenters, which only furthered our passion to show that, even as students, we can make a difference in the field. As a result, I have started the first AAMN chapter in New Jersey at Seton Hall. Professional opportunities are truly at your disposal here."
Seton Hall Career Highlights
- Adult 1, Overlook Hospital, Summit, NJ
- Obstetrics, St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston NJ
- Participated in first clinical group to ever implement student safety checklist
- Psych, East Orange General Hospital, East Orange, NJ
- American Assembly for Men in Nursing National Conference Presenter, Lexington KY—"Facilitating Male Entry into Nursing"
- Internship at the law office of Sayegh & Feeley, South Orange, NJ
- Publicity Representative, Student Nurses Association
- President, Student Nurses Association
- Student Body Representative, Student Advisory Committee
- Student Body Representative, Academic Curriculum Committee
- Founder and President first NJ chapter of AAMN
- Authored four Setonian Articles