About the Center
The Stillman School of Business Center for Securities Trading and Business Analytics is a first-class, state-of-the-art trading room.
Its Fall 2004 opening was marked by the ringing of the closing bell at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and a $50,000 grant from the NYSE Foundation. In February 2005, the School followed the bell ringing with a ribbon-cutting ceremony officiated by Richard Cody, New Jersey acting governor at the time.
Transforming concepts into practice is the essence of a Stillman School degree and The Trading Room is an excellent example of that. It functions as a finance laboratory and allows classroom concepts to be discovered and tested in a live, real-world setting. The Trading Room also helps students develop expertise in information systems and technology-areas vital to trading room and market activities.
Few university trading rooms offer the advanced technology and close proximity to Wall Street of Seton Hall's Trading Room, as well as an advisory board of business professionals that provide real-world expertise and direction to the Stillman School curriculum.
Finance Department/Trading Room Highlights
- In its first year, more than 600 students systematically used The Trading Room.
- A Seton Hall team competing in the CFA Institute Research Challenge has made the "Final Four" an impressive 12 times in the past 17 years and even took top honors in 2006 and 2007. In 2017 and 2020 a Seton Hall team won the American Championship and advanced to the Global Finals.
- The Stillman School is the only business school to have rung the opening and closing bells at the NYSE and the NASDAQ a total of six times.
- Thanks to their positive learning experiences in The Trading Room, undergraduate students created The Stillman Exchange, one of the few business newspapers produced by students for students.
- The Investment Club boasts approximately 20 student members who not only hold their weekly meetings in The Trading Room, but who also use the room's resources to do their own investing.
- The Trading Room also serves as a media center with faculty experts being interviewed from The Room.
- Many of the School's finance and accounting classes are conducted in The Trading Room including Financial Accounting, Business Finance, Portfolio Analysis, Securities Trading and Financial News, Fixed Income Analysis and Futures, Options and Other Derivatives.