The Department of Biblical Studies provides a biblical education according to Roman Catholic standards (e.g., Program for Priestly Formation 5), primarily with a view to preparing students for service in pastoral ministry. The course-related services include the provision of instruction in 6 core courses (PPF 5): 3 Old Testament courses on the Pentateuch, Prophets, and Wisdom and Psalms; and 3 New Testament courses on the Synoptic Gospels, Pauline Literature, and Johannine Literature. These services also include provision of instruction in biblical electives and biblical languages: Greek and Hebrew.
Gregory Y. Glazov, D. Phil (Oxon.)
Full-time faculty and areas of specialization
- Reverend Christopher M. Ciccarino, K.C.H.S., S.S.L., S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: St. Paul in Acts; Prophetic Literature; Biblical Archeology; the Parables of Jesus; Passover: Moses to Jesus; Pauline Literature; Wisdom Literature and the Psalms; Peter in the New Testament and Christian Antiquity; Spirituality of John
- Reverend Pablo T. Gadenz, S.S.L., S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: Synoptic Gospels; Pauline and Johannine Literature; Biblical Theology of Pope Benedict XVI
- Gregory Y. Glazov, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
Areas of specialization: Old Testament Studies; Biblical Call Narratives; the Jewish Writings of Vladimir Solovyov; Scriptural and Jewish Sources of Christian Prayer.
- Reverend James P. Platania, S.S.L., S.T.D. (Cand.)
Areas of specialization: Hebrew; Greek; The Flood Narrative; The Book of Wisdom; The Two Cities of Revelation 17-22; Form-Criticism; Exodus; Mesopotamian Religion; Joshua 1-11
- Reverend Monsignor C. Anthony Ziccardi, S.S.L., S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: Synoptic Gospels; Luke-Acts; Johannine Literature; Kingdom of God
Adjunct faculty and areas of specialization
- Brian Honsberger, M.A.
Areas of specialization: Sacred Scripture and Evangelization, including the Evangelization Techniques of St. Paul and other Biblical Writers
- Most Reverend Arthur J. Serratelli, D.D., S.S.L., S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: Old Testament Studies; Liturgy; the Roman Missal, New Translations, and Liturgical Renewal; Catholic-Baptist Dialogue.
Faculty emeritus and areas of specialization
- Reverend Monsignor James C. Turro, S.T.L., S.S.L., Ph.D.
Areas of specialization: New Testament Studies; Pauline Studies; Judaism and Christian Origins; Biblical Exegesis and Church Doctrine; Homiletics
- BIBL 3106/6006: New Testament Greek I
- BIBL 3107/6007: New Testament Greek II
- BIBL 6113: Biblical Hebrew I
- BIBL 6114: Biblical Hebrew II
- BIBL 6117: (CETH 6117) Bible/Christian Morality
- BIBL 6201: Pentateuch
- BIBL 6203: Prophetic Literature
- BIBL 6205: Wisdom Literature and Psalms
- BIBL 6210: Biblical Call Narratives
- BIBL 6231: (PTHO 6267) Suffering and the Book of Job
- BIBL 6398: The Dark Passages of the Bible
- BIBL 6399: (STHO 6399) Scripture & Forgiveness
- BIBL 6408: Introduction to the New Testament
- BIBL 6410: Catholic Epistles – Hebrews
- BIBL 6413: Infancy Narratives
- BIBL 6501: Synoptic Gospels
- BIBL 6503: Johannine Literature
- BIBL 6505: Pauline Literature
- BIBL 6506: (STHO 6550) Introduction to Pauline and Johannine Literature
- BIBL 6507: Luke-Acts
- BIBL 6529: (PTHO 6396/STHO 6533) Spirituality of the Old Testament
- BIBL 6535: (PTHO 6535) The Scriptural Sources and Meaning of the Lord's Prayer
- BIBL 6570: (PTHO 6570/STHO 6570) Mary in Sacred Scripture
- BIBL 6571: (PTHO 6571) The Parables of Jesus
- BIBL 6723: (HSTD 6723) Passover: From Moses to Jesus
- BIBL 6724: (PTHO 6724) Jewish Roots of Christian Spirituality
- BIBL 6803: (PTHO 6803) Biblical Prayer & Spirituality