Technology Information for Graduates
When you graduate, your access to free software, cloud storage space, official email accounts, and 24/7 support will change. Here's what you need to know to make sure your important files and messages come with you after you leave Seton Hall University:
Laptop Transfer of Ownership
All students participating in the Mobile Computing Program that have completed graduation requirements can sign a Transfer of Ownership Agreement.
Begin Laptop Transfer of Ownership
You will retain access to your Seton Hall mailbox after you graduate and you can keep your mailbox for 6 months. This is a good time to update your email address on any external websites (i.e. LinkedIn, Twitter, Netflix, job applications, etc.) and any official documents that include your @shu.edu email address (i.e. resume, CV, etc.).
Data should be downloaded or otherwise backed-up prior to deactivation. Backup your files or notes saved in your OneDrive account
You can download your data from OneDrive using OneDrive for Business Sync. To download items, you will use Sync to copy or move items to your local machine or flash drive. A much slower option is to open and download each item in your OneDrive folders.
Expand your Skills with LinkedIn Learning
Explore the most in-demand skills based on your experience and earn skills and credentials to your LinkedIn account by completing courses. The skills and accomplishments you earned will remain on your LinkedIn profile, even after your Seton Hall student account is deactivated.
Get Support for your Lenovo Laptop
Your Lenovo laptop may still have accidental and extended warranty protection. To check the status of your warranty, click the corresponding link below for the model laptop you have. The serial number for identifying your machine is located on a sticker at the bottom. If you experience any issues you can visit your local Lenovo authorize service center or contact Lenovo customer support directly:
- Locate a Repair Center or Service Provider
- ThinkPad T Series Warranty, Support, Software, and Documentation
- Yoga Series Warranty, Support, Software, and Documentation
Follow these Computing Practices
- Use antivirus and anti-malware software on all of your computers.
- Use strong passwords that are hard to guess, but easy to remember, and contain at least eight characters combining uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Be sure to use different passwords for each of your online accounts–including email, social media, and your bank account. Also consider a service to manage your passwords, such as LastPass or 1Password that won’t expire once you leave Seton Hall.
- Be sure you have the most recent versions of any software installed on your computer or devices. Staying current with updates ensures that you’ll have the latest security patches and code fixes to resolve potential problems.
- Beware of phishing emails, along with other scams and malware.
Keep in Touch
Alumni Relations offers several alumni benefits such as webinars, networking tools like Pirate Connect and Social Pirates. For the full list of alumni benefits, please visit the alumni.shu.edu benefits page.