Faculty/Staff Advisor Expectations
Roles and Expectations
- Communicate as necessary with the Department of Student Life.
- Meet with leadership of the organization at the beginning of the semester to set mutual expectations.
- Attend at least 2 events/meetings per semester.
- Communicate monthly with the President of the organization.
- Provide support in the following areas:
- Program Development
- Policy Adherence
- Conflict Resolution
- Leadership Development
- Provide a general commitment to the sustainability of the organization.
*Faculty Advisors serve for one-year terms with possible extension based on a mutual agreement between the organization and the faculty advisor.
Things to remember as an advisor
- The responsibility for building a relationship must be shared between the advisor and the organization
- View the relationship as a partnership
- Share needs, responsibilities, and expectations with each other.
Tips for advisors
- Know the students and organization with whom you're working.
- Have the goals and objectives of the group firmly in mind,
- Know what the students expect of you as an advisor
- Express sincere interest in the organization and its mission.
- Assist the group in setting realistic, obtainable goals.
- Assist the group in developing a system through which they can evaluate their progress.
- Challenge the group to grow and develop.