Seton Hall University
Student on laptop sitting on the grass.

Looking for a Job?

Work study awards funding is limited and awarded based on eligibility.  These funds are on a first come, first serve basis, therefore having been offered Federal Work Study does not guarantee a job.

Step 1: Check Your Eligibility

In order to be eligible for Federal Work Study students must meet the following eligibility requirements below. If all requirements are satisfied, move to step 2.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • File your FAFSA before the January 15 deadline
  • Be a full-time student registered for 12 or more credits
  • Maintain the required cumulative GPA of 2.0
  • Have an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) under $13,000 (this can be found on your financial aid award via PirateNet account)
  • Spring semesters – depending on the levels of funding remaining, FWS will be offered to students with EFC above $13000

Step 2: View and Apply for Positions

Look for open positions by checking the Student Employment Database. You must apply for these positions directly through the employment database. After applying, ensure to follow-up directly with departments by phone or email within a week or so to check on the status of your application(s) if you do not hear from them. You may follow-up by contacting the departments in which you've applied for the positions directly via email or phone. The Office of Student Employment does not hire for departments on campus, therefore will not be able to provide you with the status of your application(s).

Step 3: Interviewing

When going for your interviews ensure to be professional and prepared. You may be asked to prove your Federal Work Study eligibility, thus it is good practice to provide the department with a copy of your financial aid award showing the FWS award and its amount. This print out of your FWS financial aid award eligibility can be obtained from PirateNet via the Profile and Finances tab.

Step 4: Accept 

Once you have been offered a position, your supervisor will complete and send the offer and onboarding form electronically to you.  This is the contract between the student and the hiring department.  This must be accepted and completed before Student Employment will be able to process the hiring proposal submitted by the supervisor electronically through PageUp.

At this point you are required to complete the I-9 Employment Verification and W-4 forms. These forms must be completed and submitted in person to the Financial Aid Department with the required forms of original identifications (e-mailed, mailed and faxed copies of identifications are not accepted and will be shredded). After all forms have been received and processed you will be notified via e-mail confirming your record has been processed and of your eligibility to begin working. You may not begin working until you have received email confirmation of your approval and eligibility to begin working.

Complete the Required Forms in order to work on campus.
Click on each document to download it in PDF format:
I-9 Form (Employment Verification) -Required by the federal government to be completed prior to working but not before having accepted a job offer. The I-9 form can be obtained and completed at the Financial Aid Customer Service Counter in Bayley Hall.

Please note: Faxed, mailed or e-mailed I-9 forms and/or identifications are not accepted.  Original identification must be presented to the counselor at the Financial Aid Office in Bayley Hall. 

W-4 Form
This must be completed and submitted to the Payroll Department located in the lower level of Bayley Hall. The W4 form can be completed and submitted at the same time with the I-9 Employment Verification form.  If you are unsure of your status and eligibility to work please contact the Office of International Programs.

  • International Students have to meet additional documentation requirements:
    • I-94 form: To verify admission visa status
    • I-20 form:  To verify educational affiliation and visa status Read more »

Stay Aware and Follow the Rules

  • Check the pay period schedule to ensure your timesheets are submitted on time. The Student timesheet system is located on your PirateNet page under the table of 'Offices and Services.' The timesheet link is located under the 'Human Resources' heading. Read more »

Terms and Rules

Students cannot be hired as temporary workers.

Positions: Students may hold only 1 position on campus. 

To be eligible for participation in the Federal Work Study program, students are required to maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA average and be in good academic standing as defined by the Registrar's Probation Policy.

Funding: There are two sources of funding under student employment.

  • Federal Work Study - You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate financial need.
  • University Funded - All eligible students may be considered. (A FAFSA is not needed).

Pay Rate: New Jersey's minimum wage is currently $12 per hour.  The rate of pay for positions is depended on the job description and department's discretion in conjunction with the Student Employment Office.

Available hours:
Students may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. During specific non-academic periods such as Christmas Break, Spring Break, and Summer Break students may work up to 29 hours per week. This schedule is determined by Student Employment and strictly followed.  Failure to follow these rules will result in the loss of FWS and/or the eligibility to work on campus.