Skip to Content
Seton Hall University
Student on laptop sitting on the grass.

Looking for a Job?

Work study awards funding is limited and awarded based on eligibility.  These funds are on a first come, first serve basis, therefore having been offered Federal Work Study does not guarantee a job.

Step 1: Check Your Eligibility

In order to be eligible for Federal Work Study students must meet the following eligibility requirements below. If all requirements are satisfied, move to step 2.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • File your FAFSA before the March 1 deadline
  • Be a full-time student registered for 12 or more credits
  • Maintain the required GPA of 2.0
  • Have an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) under $13,000 (this can be found on your financial aid award via PirateNet account)

Step 2: View and Apply for Positions

Look for open positions by checking the Student Employment Database. You must apply for these positions directly through the employment database. After applying, ensure to follow-up directly with departments within a week or so to check on the status of your application(s) if you do not hear from them. You may follow-up by contacting the departments in which you've applied for the positions directly via email or phone. The Office of Student Employment does not hire for departments on campus, therefore you are required to contact the departments themselves directly to get the most updated status of your application(s).

Step 3: Interviewing

When going for your interviews ensure to be professional and prepared. You may be asked to prove your Federal Work Study eligible, thus it is good practice to provide the department with a copy of your financial aid award showing the FWS award and its amount. This print out of your FWS financial aid award eligibility can be obtained from piratenet.

Step 4: Accept 

Once you have been offered a position, your supervisor will complete and submit the Student Hiring Proposal electronically through the PageUp. The hiring proposal is then submitted to Student Employment electronically for review and processing.  The supervisor is required to Send the Offer and Onboarding form to the student to accept and complete.  This is the contract between the student and the hiring department.  The student must complete this requirement before Student Employment will be able to process the hiring proposal.

At this point you are required to complete the I-9 Employment Verification and W-4 forms. These forms must be completed and submitted in person to the Financial Aid Department with the required forms of original identifications (e-mailed, mailed and faxed copies of identifications are not accepted and will be shredded). After all forms have been received and processed you will be notified via e-mail confirming your record has been processed and of your eligibility to begin working. You may not begin working until you have received confirmation of your approval.

Complete the Required Forms in order to work on campus.
Click on each document to download it in PDF format:
I-9 Form (Employment Verification) -Required by the federal government to be completed prior to working but not before having accepted a job offer. The I-9 form can be obtained and completed at the Financial Aid Customer Service Counter in Bayley Hall.

Please note: Faxed, mailed or e-mailed I-9 forms and/or identifications are not accepted.  Original identification must be presented to the  representative at the Customer Service Counter in Bayley Hall. 

W-4 Form
This must be completed and submitted to the Payroll Department located in the lower level of Bayley Hall. The W4 form can be completed and submitted at the same time with the I-9 Employment Verification form.  If you are unsure of your status and eligibility to work please contact the Office of International Programs.

  • International Students have to meet additional documentation requirements:
    • I-94 form: To verify admission visa status
    • I-20 form:  To verify educational affiliation and visa status Read more »

Stay Aware and Follow the Rules

  • Check the pay period schedule to ensure your timesheets are submitted on time. The Kronos system is located on your PirateNet page under the table of 'Offices and Services.' The timesheet link is located under the 'Human Resources' heading. Read more »

Terms and Rules

Students cannot be hired as temporary workers.

Positions: Students may hold only 1 position on campus. 

To be eligible for participation in the Federal Work Study program, students are required to maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA average and be in good academic standing as defined by the Registrar's Probation Policy.

Funding: There are two sources of funding under student employment.

  • Federal Work Study - You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate financial need.
  • University Funded - All eligible students may be considered. (A FAFSA is not needed).

Pay Rate: The starting pay rate is currently New Jersey’s minimum wage of  $8.60 per hour and is depended on the job description and department’s discretion in conjunction with the Student Employment Office.

Available hours:
Students may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. During specific non-academic periods such as Christmas Break, Spring Break, and Summer Break students may work up to 29 hours per week. This schedule is determined by Student Employment and strictly followed.  Failure to follow these rules will result in the loss of FWS and/or the eligibility to work on campus.

Back to top